PDA

View Full Version : Eureka, you idiot!

rtyuiop
2nd December 2016, 07:28 PM
Hi folks,

Thought I would share this in the hope people have similar stories I can learn something from.

So in the last week or so I have been having doing a few pens, and found myself having more problems getting a good cut with the skew than usual. I redid the bevel on the chisel, checked the toolrest position, made sure my tongue was sticking out correctly, wondered if someone was standing outside with some sort of voodoo doll, etc.

This afternoon I realised I've been letting the weight of my hand on top of the chisel push the top (the point side) of the chisel down and towards the work piece. Slapped myself in the head a few times and I was back to normal!

Any similar tales of things which creep up on you while turning?

Cheers,

Danny

orraloon
3rd December 2016, 09:16 AM
You are right about the voodoo doll and the skew having a very close relationship. Some days I think I've got this skew thing sorted then comes the creepy music followed by swearing and muttering.
Regards
John

chuck1
3rd December 2016, 10:19 AM
Really sharpe helps I hone all skews and gouges by hand. Last time I used a skew straight off the grinder was using recycled hardwood from a Bridge as It kept breaking long point!

Mobyturns
4th December 2016, 09:22 AM
Don't worry, even when you think you have mastered the skew you can still get a reality check very quickly. :-