PDA

View Full Version : Vicmarc VL150 - extension bed questions

QuarkVI
9th December 2016, 05:06 AM
Well here I am waiting for delivery of my VL150 when I receive another package with some HSS bars that I ordered for making scrapers...

and it dawns on me that I am going to need the extension bed sooner than planned so that I can make handles for said scrapers. So some questions ...

- has anyone looked at using a non Vicmarc extension on the VL150 e.g. the MC1018 extension or even the w46-A extension? purely considering economics as I can get that extension for a quarter of the price of the vicmarc
- anyone got a good idea for a stand addition that supports the extension but can be removed with the extension?

Except for some furniture work (and now handles) I don't need the extension attached - and need the extra space the rest of the time for other toys. I realise the obvious solution to the problem is to place a VL300 on the opposite side of the shed but there was a bit of an argument with the minister of home affairs about whether she really needs a car (I think she won that one).

appreciate the help
Robin

ian
9th December 2016, 05:36 AM
as you only "need" the extra length when turning handles for lathe tools, could you

1. modify the tail stock mount to obtain an additional 100mm of length -- would allow you to turn 450mm long handles

2. use the swing away tail stock support to achieve the same or a slightly longer result?

chuck1
9th December 2016, 07:20 AM
I had this issue with my Hyco and balusters when they changed to 960 mm I got the extra length by getting a shorter tailstock Centre and hanging the tailstock partly off the bed,but so the locking plate underneath still had full grip on the bottom.

Mobyturns
9th December 2016, 07:26 AM
I purchased the extension bed when I purchased my VL150 even though I was not intending to use it. Better to have it now than try and chase one up latter. Marco even set it up and checked the bed alignment before it left the factory. The Vicmarc VL150's are fantastic lathes btw, best lathe that I have turned on by far for my work. So my Aussie made 1992 Woodfast M908 with the M910 EVS conversion kit sits unloved at the moment even though it is a very good lathe in its own right. The VL150 is simply more suited to my turning preferences.

Rod Gilbert
9th December 2016, 07:44 AM
Hi all,
My first lathe was a Indian made (1960 ish) solid cast iron bed that I purchased to turn my own legs for furniture I was producing so all I needed was 750mm between centre's and could just get 800mm as described by chuck1 had the tail off the end a little. The first job after purchase was for a bed with 1800mm 150x150mm rosewood head posts I started head scratching,turn them in sections and join them to get the length?
I didn't like that idea then thought all a lathe used to be(back in the day of one long overhead shaft running the length of the shop with flat belts dropping where needed) was a couple of 8"x2" hardwood boards on edge the length of the workshop with head and tail's put where you need them. I thought I can do that I've got some really old stable hardwood so I made up a section of bed with spacers the width of the gap and bolted them through to get the correct width and height of existing bed then bolted it to the end and down to the bench. Very cautiously put the 1800x150x150 lengths in and spun them up as slow as I could get and no problems so up went the speed and away I went no vibration worked like a dream they remained on the lathe for years and got used quite often over the years. That little lathe had a few conversions over the years it is surprising what you can do with a bit of descent hardwood.
Regards Rod.