PDA

View Full Version : T Track + fittings

greenie512
3rd September 2005, 10:17 AM
Guys (and gals), do you know of a Australian supplier of T Track and fittings similar to the stuff sold by Rockler (US). I'm building a simple (crude) router bench and need this to make my fence adjustble/slide. See current "state" bottom of this page

http://www.greenie512.net/greenie512/html/the_shed_tools.html

Rockler product I'm trying to souce locally: -

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_details.cfm?offerings_id=5209

Barry_White
3rd September 2005, 10:36 AM
Have a look at this thread.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=12945&highlight=gwhat

martrix
3rd September 2005, 10:58 AM
If you can get to a Capral outlet, they should have everything you can dream of, and at the lowest price.

http://www.capral.com.au/img/logo.gif www.capral.com.au (http://www.capral.com.au)

outback
3rd September 2005, 11:34 AM
If you go the Capral way, make sure you actually pick up yourself. The extrusions are cheap, but the handling, desptch, freight is horrendous.

greenie512
3rd September 2005, 12:03 PM
Thanks for quick reponse guys.

Well I live about 5km from Capral headoffice in QLD so will give them a whirl. It tooks like Woodpecker also supply enough to do the job.

Cheer - Phil

Grahame Collins
4th September 2005, 05:18 PM
This may save some unecessary journeys to Capral.I believe some are assumming that Capral who have a shipload of extrusions and aluminium parts will have the elusive tee track.
I have been through this excercise fellas.The sail track I was shown here (in Mackay ) is not suitable for use as a tee track.
The local Capral staff did not know of anything that would suit and there is nothing remotely suitable in their little handbook catalogue of extrusions. I even drew a sketch up for them.
However if your experience is any different please be kind enough to put the rest of us on track with a Capral part number.

Best responce was from the woodpecker whom I shall be making some purchases from when I accumulate the required dollars.The man is a gentleman to deal with,very prompt and can spell Grahame correctly.

Grahame

outback
4th September 2005, 06:49 PM
So Graham, Grame, Graeme, Graym, Grayem, Grayham, Grahem, Grayheme............... :D

The sail track referred to isn't exactly the same as T track, it's just OK as a substitute. It came to prominence when rooly rool t track was unprocurable and very $$$$$$. Gwhat has soughta fixed that.

NewLou
4th September 2005, 07:06 PM
Gidday:D

I've been recently testing out T-track and various fittings and am officially hooked on the stuff!!! I've found GWhat and his aussie arm of woodpeckers nothing short of one of the best mail order suppliers in the business!!!!

....................the array of goodies that can go along with the various t-track configerations quality and reasonable pricing are excellent. I've recently made a simple workbench that has been propelled into a new dimension of versatility and accuracy utilising well thought out adaptations of various woodpecker goodies!!!!!

All I can say is I hope Gwhat gets more goodies in for us to use!!!!!

REgards Lou!!!!!:D:D:D

Barry_White
4th September 2005, 07:06 PM
This may save some unecessary journeys to Capral.I believe some are assumming that Capral who have a shipload of extrusions and aluminium parts will have the elusive tee track.
I have been through this excercise fellas.The sail track I was shown here (in Mackay ) is not suitable for use as a tee track.
The local Capral staff did not know of anything that would suit and there is nothing remotely suitable in their little handbook catalogue of extrusions. I even drew a sketch up for them.
However if your experience is any different please be kind enough to put the rest of us on track with a Capral part number.

Best responce was from the woodpecker whom I shall be making some purchases from when I accumulate the required dollars.The man is a gentleman to deal with,very prompt and can spell Grahame correctly.

Grahame

Grahame (Did I get it right)

Capral do carry a product called Marine Sail Track which is not really a T track but this is what every one has been using in their jigs.

On an invoice I have from them under the Material Column it has the number 810957 and the description is EE4204 5106 T6.4m Mill Finish and it comes in 4.1metre lengths and as at 6/4/2004 it was $11.49 per length.

To fix it you just drill a countersunk holes in the bottom and fix it with #4 countersunk screws and Bobs your uncle.

They don't usually carry it in their branches and they usually have to get from their warehouse in Sydney, Brisbane or Melbourne

I have posted a pic of what it looks like on the end. A 1/4 coach head bolt slides in and wont turn. You may just have to grind a bit off the top of the bolt, depending on the brand.

I hope this helps.

Sturdee
4th September 2005, 11:19 PM
it comes in 4.1metre lengths and as at 6/4/2004 it was $11.49 per length.

I bought a 4 metre lenght a couple weeks ago and it is now about $ 13. Had to be sent up from Sunshine to Clayton and as they had stuffed this up when I came to collect it they sent it to my place by courier at no extra charge.

Still the cheapest for use as T-track.

Peter.

FlyingDuck
5th September 2005, 11:00 PM
Hi greenie512

Of topic, but I had a look at the photos of your shed with the link you gave in the first post. I am particularly interested in that picture of the fence built with alum angle and MDF. I bought some 50 x 50 x 3 alum angle today to do the same job, and was just wondering if I would have a problem with the angle flexing a bit. How do you find it in service, is it nice and rigid? Is your's 3 mm thick or what?

FlyingDuck
5th September 2005, 11:08 PM
Forgot to mention that I also done the rounds at Capral about a year ago looking for T Track, but they were not able to help, even after showing them pictures of what I wanted. They didn't show me the sail track.

So just by coincidence, I ordered some from a shop called PriceCutter (http://www.pricecutter.com/product.asp?pn=416-0181) in the USA about three days ago, for about $15USD/4". Might have saved some cash if I only read this forum a few days earlier.

I was after T-Track that suited 1/4" x 20 bolts, and it sounds like the sail track does this. Can anybody confirm this?

Sturdee
5th September 2005, 11:31 PM
I was after T-Track that suited 1/4" x 20 bolts, and it sounds like the sail track does this. Can anybody confirm this?

Flying Duck, this is what I posted on 27/1/04 re the sailtrack :

I use the sailtrack from Capral and these are the specifications I measured for Woodchuck Canuck last week.

Outside width 22mm
Outside depth 9mm
Inside width 17mm
Inside depth 3mm
Opening gap 7.5mm
Thickness 2.5mm

The track is not predrilled, I use a small bit to drill through and then a larger bit to countersink the opening and use chipboard screws size #4 * 5/8" to attach the track.

The opening is perfect for 1/4" cupbolt bolts as the square section of the bolt is 6mm and the thickness of the head is 3mm. Most of the time they fit perfectly but sometimes a bit of judicious grinding with the bench grinder is necessary.

The cost of a 4 meter lenght is $ 10.95.

Price has gone up but the sail track is still the cheapest option and is still available from Capral, at least in Vic. :D

Peter.

FlyingDuck
6th September 2005, 08:47 PM
Thanks Sturdee.

I went back to Capral today and gave them the part number that Barry White mentions. They didn't have it in stock, but are selling it here in BNE for $10.30/ 4m.

I have a photocopy of their product literature for part E4204, and the actual dimensions are:

Inside width 17.4 mm
Inside depth 4 mm
Opening gap 7.9mm

I took along my 1/4 x 20 hex head bolt to see if it would fit, but of course could not test it as they didn't have any there. However, the bolt has a 7/6" head (11.1 mm), so it would just spin around in the 17.4 mm inside width anyway. I notice you used the cuphead bolts to get it to work.

Sturdee
7th September 2005, 07:27 PM
I notice you used the cuphead bolts to get it to work.

That's the trick as it is the square section ( 1/4 " ) near the bolt head that stops the bolt turning around. Just make sure that there is access to slide the bolt onto the track.

Peter.

Mo_QLD
7th June 2006, 11:42 PM
I tried capral, they don't sell their "Marine Sail Track" in QLD anymore, not enough demand.

scooter
8th June 2006, 12:13 AM
Was that "don't stock it", or "don't sell it" ?

They may be able to order it in for you.

Cheers.................Sean

Mo_QLD
11th June 2006, 08:10 PM
They offered to have it shipped up from down south for $40.

So I'm going to see if I can make do with Styleline Curtain Track. I noticed it at "Curtain Wonderland". I asked at a local Curtain shop and they had some offcuts that I bought, $5 for 2m. It isn't as heavy duty as the Sail Track but it takes a 1/4" coach bolt nicely and seems sturdy enough.

scooter
11th June 2006, 09:06 PM
Hope it works out for yer.

Cheers................Sean