PDA

View Full Version : Dilling a lawn bowl

bob pringle
4th March 2001, 06:15 AM
In answer to me query last Dec(?) re turning a carving mallet it was suggested I make one out of a lawn bowl.

I now have an old set and wish to drill a large hole through its centre for the handle.

Bowls seem to be made out of some type of plastic compound.

What type of drill?

Is a drill press the go?

Any suggestions please.

ubeaut
15th March 2001, 11:51 AM
I think lawn bowls are made of something called composite. Anyway they can be drilled easily with a forstner bit or spade bit for attaching the handle. Use a drill press on a medium speed and clear the waste from the hole regularly.

Cheers - Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

AlexS
21st March 2001, 07:35 AM
Old lawn bowls were made of Lignum Vitae, a hard, dense wood that is also the preferred wood for carvers mallets. It's now pretty rare, but may occasionally be found in old lawn bowls.

Don't know how the new composite material would go as a mallet.

ubeaut
22nd March 2001, 11:12 AM
The Lignum Vitae ones are called Bias Bowls similar to the lawn bowls of today but different. As Alex says they make great carvers mallets but the composite ones make brilliant, virtually indestructible mallets.

Lignum Vitae is readily available at speciality timber merchants but is very expensive. It is sold by weight not by size, it is about the heaviest timber there is so it don't come cheap.