PDA

View Full Version : Superjaws (minor gloat)

janac13
21st June 2001, 09:09 PM
Hi all

I have just had the most amazing week. It started with SWMBO telling me fri night of this good deal on Router etc at Big W where she works. So Sat morning off we go and I come home with Bosch Router POF40 - $118 and RTA220 Router table for my MK3 - $77 chuffed I was (and she wanted me to have it??).

So I'm now thinking what else I need to complete the setup (apart from the Triton Saw to replace the Ozito 7.25 I got) so the biscuit joiner attachment is on order so Tuesday a trip to Hardwarehouse gets me one for $108 (so so price..)

Anyway SWMBO rings me at work Wed and says would I like the Bevel attachment for the MK3 from BigW so I say cool and it's home when I get there. Only it seems that the $44 she paid for it was reduced during the day and so this means a trip to the store today.

So after she sorts it all out the MK3 (old style) bevel attachment is mine for $20. Good buys so far but wait there's more. This morning I also pick up .
1. Old MK3 table extension for $80 (ok so it's not as versitile as the new one but...)
2. Legs for the MK3 (I currently have the MK3 sitting on purpose made cupboard) $30
3. Superjaws... Floor stock (no box etc) for $80
4. Engineers jaws $20
5. Log jaws $10
biscuits, sanding disk etc....

Seems the store had made a purchase of superceded Triton stock and was clearing it (not going to carry anymore...)

Now the question... does anyone with a superjaws know if there is any special thing I should know about changing the jaws over to either of the others I just got..

Can't wait for the w/end to try out the new toys.. OOPs it's room painting this W/end oh dear...

TIA
John

------------------
"Beer is proof that God loves us,
and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Noel Butcher
22nd June 2001, 04:39 PM
Nothing special to worry about when changing the jaws other than the rubber inserts fit with a keyhole locking system (slide one > withthe other one sliding < toget them apart.
If you don't have the instructions you may not know that the adjustable arm that applied the pressure is reversible to enable you to fit bits and pieces up to about 900mm wide. You should be pleased with your purchases, especially $80.00 for the SuperJaws. they are absolutely wonderful to have ......... now if I canonly get mine back from my brother.

JackoH
22nd June 2001, 05:23 PM
Can you lend me your missus for as week? http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif
John H.

RETIRED
22nd June 2001, 06:20 PM
Gooday.

Your wife and John Saxtons Plastic, now that would be a team. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

[This message has been edited by (edited 22 June 2001).]

janac13
22nd June 2001, 07:18 PM
Thanks I didn't realise ther reversable bit wil come in handy for sure. Everyone I know speaks highly of the superjaws. Found out a mate actually has 2 of the things.. Now who else is selling out of them??? hummmm..

No my missus is stuck to me and there is still more to come for sure....

Thanks

------------------
"Beer is proof that God loves us,
and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

brettdel
24th June 2001, 10:04 PM
Just one thing to watch out for with the super jaws - the spring loaded pin/flat bar that lets you lock the foot "thing"? will eventually wear and sometimes not lock into place after set up (still got the stained undies from the first time it happened http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif ) bit dangerous actually.

The slides that the top jaw runs in do eventually wear making it hard to clamp/unclamp also the guides on the top jaw itself may need a slight adjustment - ball hammer is good for that http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif the release striker plate suffers the same fate but nothing a ball hammer and cold chisel won't fix. Happy clamping

John Saxton
24th June 2001, 11:06 PM
Hi John,good to see that you are getting it all together and no doubt enjoying the moment.
Good on you.
I wonder if you can get your missus to give Er indoors some of the etiquette required for the release of plastic.
Theres a sayin' about credit cards that my better half has a way of pointin' out from time to time quote"If you make it you can break it"unquote.
Which is her way of referring to an overheated card without a cooling system in place so you are fortunate in having a wife with more liberal views in terms of plastic http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif.
Hope you enjoy your new workshop.
Cheers

------------------
Johnno

Taffy
10th August 2001, 09:58 PM
John,Good luck with your superjaws, I have had one for years, I have used it for holding logs while cutting with a chain saw (I do a bit of woodturning), bending light steel on the anvil head, and you can also use it as a press for small bearings,
To all those guys out there whos missus isn't sympathetic, I also have a wife who believes nothing is a waste of money in the workshop PROVIDING YOU USE IT.
enjoy.

Taffy