PDA

View Full Version : Moisture meter recommendations

Phily
18th January 2017, 08:28 PM
I bought an eBay special moisture meter for about $50. Was a geek dream but as soon as I saw it I thought "this won't last". Sure enough, half a dozen uses and one of the pins disappeared into the plastic case.
Any recommendations on a meter that will test reasonable depth greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Phil

hughie
19th January 2017, 03:55 AM
I bought an eBay special moisture meter for about $50. Was a geek dream but as soon as I saw it I thought "this won't last". Sure enough, half a dozen uses and one of the pins disappeared into the plastic case.
Any recommendations on a meter that will test reasonable depth greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Phil

Hare and Forbes sell them for about the same price I have had mine for 2-3 years no trouble at all. Ebay had them for half the price :(, will put a image up later today. Oh just found the link NDI 2 in 1 Pin-type Moisture Meter Damp Detector Wood + Calibration lid 310B | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NDI-2-in-1-Pin-type-Moisture-Meter-Damp-Detector-Wood-Calibration-lid-310B-/252077574045?hash=item3ab0fe879d:g:DmMAAOSwBahVBjiq).

Christos
19th January 2017, 07:01 AM
Like you when I wanted to purchase a moisture meter I ended up buying a cheap one from Ebay. I purchased one that has a two prongs and have been using it for years. When I originally purchased it I opened it up to see what it looked like. I figured if this broke I could either solder it back on as it was attached to the circuit board.

You might want to see if this attached similar to how mine is or if the prong is attached to the plastic then to the circuit board. It just might be fixable.

NeilS
19th January 2017, 11:15 AM
I bought an eBay special moisture meter for about $50.

Phil - you should have a reasonable meter for that amount.

Models that have the pins attached to the case are vulnerable if you apply too much pressure when pushing the pins into the wood.

I use mine on firewood and when monitoring turned green blanks.

On the firewood, I split the wood and apply the pins lightly to the freshly exposed surface. When re-testing the firewood later on when it is in a stack, I drill into the exposed ends (using a jig to get the required distance apart for the pins). The depth gives a more accurate reading without applying excessive pressure to the meter.

With the green turning I apply the probes to the end grain. Not much pressure is required on pre-turned pieces as there is not much depth to the remaining wood and a surface reading will suffice.

Keep in mind that all you are getting are relative measures. Readings will vary between different meters by a few % and then these readings then have to be adjusted for wood species and temperature to get an absolute moisture content number. eg. see the link to the chart below for Stringybark.

And, a reading that gets down to 5% in a piece of wood at the end of the hot and dry summers we get here will then go back up to 16% by the end of our long wet winters. My moisture meter is invaluable, but I still have to use my judgement to know exactly what is going on.

http://www.utas.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/289146/e-obliqua_mature_mc.pdf

Stay sharp!

Neil

China
19th January 2017, 02:28 PM
Delmhorst J-4 with slide hammer you won't break it if you do manage to damage the pins you can replace them
Be warned it won't even be close to the $50 mark, although you will be able to leave it in your will

Phily
19th January 2017, 02:34 PM
Thanks guys, much appreciated. Sounds like I was a bit too ham fisted with my unit, which having been binned Christos, is non repairable! What are your thoughts on the induction models - as accurate as a pin based unit?
Cheers
Phil

Phily
19th January 2017, 02:35 PM
NB. Thanks for the chart Neil, very handy!

Phily
19th January 2017, 02:46 PM
Delmhorst J-4 with slide hammer you won't break it if you do manage to damage the pins you can replace them
Be warned it won't even be close to the $50 mark, although you will be able to leave it in your will

Holy guacamole, that must be one heck of a unit for those dollars!!! I suspect my daughters would prefer a half ounze of gold than a used moisture meter though!!!

Phily
19th January 2017, 02:51 PM
Hare and Forbes sell them for about the same price I have had mine for 2-3 years no trouble at all. Ebay had them for half the price :(, will put a image up later today. Oh just found the link NDI 2 in 1 Pin-type Moisture Meter Damp Detector Wood + Calibration lid 310B | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NDI-2-in-1-Pin-type-Moisture-Meter-Damp-Detector-Wood-Calibration-lid-310B-/252077574045?hash=item3ab0fe879d:g:DmMAAOSwBahVBjiq).

Thanks Hughie, I ordered one without any temptation of going with China's option !!!!!