PDA

View Full Version : Burl Bowl

WOODbTURNER
24th January 2017, 03:55 PM
Saw this burl bowl advertised on a local Darwin for sale site for $30.00. Was thinking of buying it to chop up for resin casting. I soon changed my mind when I saw it and that it was 450mm approx dia x 150mm. The people bought it in Tassie over 3o years ago and made me promise not to chop it up. I think they realised that $30 was a tad too cheap.http://www.woodworkforums.com/images/attach/jpg.gif

dai sensei
24th January 2017, 07:18 PM
Beautiful timber, eucalyptus burl? Almost a shame to turn most of it into shavings but it looks good. What's the bottom/profile look like?

WOODbTURNER
24th January 2017, 09:54 PM
Beautiful timber, eucalyptus burl? Almost a shame to turn most of it into shavings but it looks good. What's the bottom/profile look like?

It looks like some of the red/brown mallee that I have turned but coming from Tassie, I dunno. Yes it's a shame that the inside was turned away unless they saved it. The bottom is just flat and might have been run through a sander.404786

dai sensei
25th January 2017, 11:56 AM
It looks like some of the red/brown mallee that I have turned but coming from Tassie, I dunno.

Looks more like Coolabah burl, but from Tassie hmm, maybe a bouncing burl (from state to state)

artful bodger
25th January 2017, 06:16 PM
Not many timbers in Tassie that dark. Except Tas blackwood. Gotta say though I have never seen a Tas blackwood burl.

dai sensei
27th January 2017, 12:06 PM
... I have never seen a Tas blackwood burl.

I have, well QLD Blackwood anyway, they usually grow as donuts around the trunk. They usually start as a fold in the trunk, almost like the upper tree got to heavy, like local crushing. Perhaps one of the advantages of QLD Blackwood LOL. They inhibit the tree's growth, so the tree never gets that big, and they have to come down :rolleyes:. I scored this one ~500mm dia burl that's been sitting around drying for the past 10 years while I decide what to do with it. The second burl on the same trunk is a half donut. The colours look weird on the trunk, but it does have dark inner and light sapwood typical of Acacia melanoxylon, just the effect of end sealer I used in the day.