PDA

View Full Version : What timber is it

Flathed
25th January 2017, 08:52 PM
Can anybody help me identify a timber I have been turning for a couple of years.Live near Bowraville ,NSW,and there were 5 dead trees on the boundary with neighbours. About 200mm at base,approx 10 metres tall without many spreading branches.Timber is hard,fine grained,greyish brown, with obvious concentric rings .Sorted through the old split stuff and put the rest aside.Have made good replacement chisel handles and even some turned fishing lures.The most obvious way I could describe it is by the smell it gives off while turning.Just like rotting oranges.Have asked a few old hands around but they have no idea.Reason I,m asking is that a lady I,m making stuff for would like to know what the timbers are I use.Any help would be greatly appreciated.:?
Thanks,Flathed

Bluegum
25th January 2017, 09:37 PM
Can you post a pic of it perhaps showing the colour and grain may be able give some of our timber gurus something to run with and help you out.

Wood Collector
26th January 2017, 11:47 AM
possible brown barrel

pommyphil
26th January 2017, 12:24 PM
If they seem planted they could be anything , but if they seem naturally seeded have a look around for other trees with the same form,etc.

dai sensei
27th January 2017, 10:59 AM
Photos are definitely needed, of the timber (end grain, long grain, side grain etc) and the tree (overall, bark, leaves, flowers, seeds - whatever you can get)

Flathed
27th January 2017, 06:51 PM
Photos are definitely needed, of the timber (end grain, long grain, side grain etc) and the tree (overall, bark, leaves, flowers, seeds - whatever you can get)
Unfortunately they have been dead for a while,so no leaves,flowers seeds etc.Hope the end grain and bark pictures might be useful.405014405013

Kidbee
27th January 2017, 10:47 PM
What about some photos of the standing trees or have they all been cut down? Were they equidistant from each other or in a row or growing randomly? Could they have been exotic? What does your neighbour know about them? Are you on a town block or acreage? The bark looks a bit similar to bloodwood and I note you are only about 20klm from the coast. You say a smell like rotten oranges; is that the opinion of others who have smelt it?

pommyphil
28th January 2017, 06:37 AM
Looks like some White Cedar, Melia azedarach, I cut recently. Phil

smiife
28th January 2017, 04:54 PM
Looks like some White Cedar, Melia azedarach, I cut recently. Phil

The bark looks like some red cedar I have just sealed and stacked away
But the tree mine came from was huge , probably 3metres around the trunk:o

Flathed
30th January 2017, 07:45 PM
The bark looks like some red cedar I have just sealed and stacked away
But the tree mine came from was huge , probably 3metres around the trunk:o
Thanks for the help guys.Old neighbours moved, so cant get any help from them.I havent dealt with white cedar before,but this timber is a lot harder than any red I,ve ever seen.All the trees were about the same size,and looked like they had been dead for a while.Just have to keep looking I guess.