PDA

View Full Version : Dust Extraction

Hors
28th January 2017, 06:55 AM
The lathe has been ordered, need to make sure I have good dust collection in place.

After suggestions on small (only for lathe) setup, to keep me safe. I don't have much left in the budget, so cheap is good

Or do I put up with a little dust, BUT make sure I have a good respirator/face shield (although they are pretty expensive)

pommyphil
28th January 2017, 07:42 AM
Lacking close neighbours I just have a big extractor fan behind the lathe. Cheap and very efficient.

DiRob
28th January 2017, 08:14 AM
if neighbours aren't a problem get a old evaporative cooler take the fan out and you won't get better extraction if you can place it near the lathe with a protective screen to avoid injury.

BobL
28th January 2017, 10:26 AM
I realise you are looking for a quick and simple solution but unfortunately a quick and simple solution for safe removal of dust from a lathe does not exist, and neither can it be explained in a couple of sentences.
It's like asking someone to explain the subtleties of wood turning or ballroom dancing in a couple of sentences.

You probably don't want to read all this but perhaps someone else does

1) Wood turning is one of THE dustiest woodie activity performed by all wood workers.

2) Wood dust is on the list of 200+ materials known to cause cancer to some (not everyone reacts the same way) people.

3) Much more common that cancer is the risk of allergies that can be severe enough to stop persons touching some woods.

4) Chips are not that much of an issue, its the finer dust that causes cancers, and the fine and very fine (invisible) dust that causes allergies.
Very fine dust will get through most filters and get inside clothing and underwear and make a mess of your shed.

5)
After suggestions on small (only for lathe) setup, to keep me safe.
What do you mean by safe?
Short of a full on space suit or remotely operated lathe there's nothing that is "totally safe"
Instead of safe, it is more usual to talks about "level of risk".
Every individual has a unique risk level of contracting cancer, and a different level to contracting allergies, and nobody can tell you what your personal risk is beforehand.
Apart from your own sensitivity, risk levels are usually determined by a) the amount of dust in the air TIMES b) length of exposure to that amount of dust.

6) If you only turn a couple of hours a week a good respirator will protect you against cancer but not against allergies. If you turn more than a couple of hours a week then your risks will increase accordingly.

7) To protect against all dusty air in the shed MUST be constantly removed from the shed and replaced with fresh air before it escapes the extractor otherwise it will escape into the rest of the shed and stay there for many hours. Then anytime you disturb something in your shed the fine dust will fluff up into the air.

8) To remove fine dust at the source of turning requires a high volume dust extraction system that vents outside the shed. Good natural ventilation helps but depends on the vagaries of the weather so is not as good a substitute for direct dust removal.

9) To explain the how and why of dust extraction at source would take too long in a single post - spend a few hours in the Dust forum to find out what is required to minimise risk. Yes is complicated and boring but that is the price of knowledge and understanding. Get yourself informed so you can make a sensible decision you can live with.

I don't have much left in the budget, so cheap is good
Of course cheap is "good" but cheap is rarely best, especially in the case of dust control.

An old evaporative air conditioner fan placed next to a lathe will just redistribute the fine dust all over the shed. The effectiveness of the the fan can be improved by placing it in an opening in the roof or wall and extract the air out of the shed on the side opposite the major opening that lets air into the shed. Beware, If the fan outlet is next to the major opening the dust will be sucked back into the shed. It's not the best solution but it is better than nothing especially for turners who only use their lathes for a few hours a week,

BTW have you got yourself a good facesheild, this even more important than good dust extraction.
I recommend the Armadillo shield.

Hors
28th January 2017, 06:26 PM
"BTW have you got yourself a good facesheild, this even more important than good dust extraction.
I recommend the Armadillo shield"

Sure have, they are the only ones my club recommends and sell

Colin62
29th January 2017, 09:16 AM
Or do I put up with a little dust

It's not a little dust. It's clouds of the stuff, getting in your eyes, up your nose, in your hair, on your clothes, all over your workshop.

Hors
31st January 2017, 05:57 PM
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/nambour/power-tools/jet-dust-extractor/1137230270

Would the above do the job for just a lathe in a small workshop

Thanks

BobL
31st January 2017, 07:01 PM
JET DUST EXTRACTOR | Power Tools | Gumtree Australia Maroochydore Area - Nambour | 1137230270 (http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/nambour/power-tools/jet-dust-extractor/1137230270)

Would the above do the job for just a lathe in a small workshop

Thanks

Unfortunately no - like I said above Turning (even on a small lathe) is VERY dusty work.
All that dust collector will do is pick up some chips and the majority (more than 2/3rds) of the fine dust will get out into your shed
You might as well sweep up the chips with a broom and use a mask.

DiRob
1st February 2017, 08:33 AM
The evaporative fan must deliver the dust outside!! if you reverse the fan direction and place the fan on wall or ceiling you will achieve this without distributing the dust internally.