PDA

View Full Version : Making A Yarn Bowl

Paul39
7th February 2017, 01:36 PM
Yarn Bowl: Furls Wooden Yarn Bowl from KnitPicks.com (http://www.knitpicks.com/accessories/Furls_Wooden_Yarn_Bowl__D82590.html)

I have been asked to make a yarn bowl. I make bowls, anything I should be careful about? I expect to use walnut or cherry and put the spiral slot on the side grain.

The person wants about an 8 inch one. How wide should the spiral slot be?

NeilS
7th February 2017, 02:30 PM
How wide should the spiral slot be?

Only wide enough to slide the yarn through the slot. Most yarn will compress, so will fit in a narrower slot than its normal width. Wider won’t matter, but a smooth surface in the slot does. Any roughness in the slot will snag the yarn.

I have made them for my daughter-in-law with a lid and a spiral that runs to the centre top. That design works well for feeding from the centre of the yarn ball.

Stay sharp!

Neil

NeilS
7th February 2017, 08:32 PM
I have made them for my daughter-in-law with a lid and a spiral that runs to the centre top. That design works well for feeding from the centre of the yarn ball.

Here is an example of that design.

The wood is a bit ordinary looking (Paulownia), but was selected for its lightness. My daughter-in-law uses it when she is travelling.

Stay sharp!

Neil

Goggomobile
8th February 2017, 08:58 PM
Guys
youve got me intrigued. My grand Ma would love one of these.

how do you do the spiral ?

Randal

NeilS
8th February 2017, 09:08 PM

how do you do the spiral ?

Randal

I do mine with a fretsaw, then sandpaper to smooth.

Stay sharp!

Neil

woodPixel
8th February 2017, 09:12 PM
@Ilya would be a good one to contact about these. He has made quite a few and they are very good.

No doubt he has many tips and tricks :)

Grommett
10th February 2017, 09:24 AM
A knitter friend suggested that if the slot is in the side of the bowl, unlike Neil's, then you need to have the base wide and heavy to keep it stable.
I'm on notice to make a couple.