PDA

View Full Version : Rolling pin

BobL
15th February 2017, 09:28 PM
I don't turn a lot of stuff although occasionally I half finish something and then it gets buried under a bunch of stuff until I go hunting for something else.
In this case it had a few cracks in it as well so not only did it have to surface , it also had to wait until I was doing some epoxy filling/gluing which happened last week.
I've posted this mainly because I doubt many folks get to see Tuart.

Gabriel
15th February 2017, 09:31 PM
Glad that I'm not the only one with projects 'on the go' ...
Nice smooth curves to that one bob! Thanks for sharing

Kidbee
15th February 2017, 10:15 PM
I like its simplicity.

Christos
19th February 2017, 08:23 AM
Nice going on the rolling pin.

There was a time that I had several(about a dozen) tasks going on at the same time. I often wondered if it would have been better to write down these outstanding task then I would at least be able to remember what task needed to be done.

Rod Gilbert
19th February 2017, 01:21 PM
I like this very much,simple in design and I am sure very effective in use well done Bob. How is Tuart to work with looks to be very close grain and very pleasing to the eye.
Regards Rod.

BobL
19th February 2017, 06:51 PM
Thanks guys.
Tuart can be a bit of a mixed bag.
When Green is gums up chainsaw chains quite badly to the point where they cannot cut.
It's usually fairly hard and cross grained so it's usually not easy to work.
This was a piece leftover from a slab I milled in 2009 and was poorly dried - I'd say over dried or cooked, and it had split in many places.
As a result it was sort of friable and worked OK on the lathe.
It actually has quite a tactile feel, and being denser than Jarrah or Karri it does make a good hefty rolling pin.

Wood Collector
19th February 2017, 07:10 PM
What resin did you use to fill the cracks as I have a few rolling pins that need the odd blemish filled. Previously I had used Titebond 3 but I would like something a bit more durable.

BobL
19th February 2017, 07:46 PM
What resin did you use to fill the cracks as I have a few rolling pins that need the odd blemish filled. Previously I had used Titebond 3 but I would like something a bit more durable.
I used West Systems epoxy (105/207) because I had it on hand.
It dried clear so it looks like a natural vein.