PDA

View Full Version : Chuck identification

Malindy
23rd February 2017, 08:55 PM
I am new to wood turning and have just purchased a Teknatool TL1000.
It came with a number of accessories including this chuck with what looks like Axminster jaws.
The jaws are tightened by screwing in the threaded rim of the chuck.
Can anyone help me identify it and provide any information?

Thanking you

chuck1
23rd February 2017, 09:14 PM
Wow I have one of them also. But looking at your's mine is missing the centrebit.
I think these are pre scroll chucks.

powderpost
23rd February 2017, 10:09 PM
That is a Teknatool chuck, I forget the name it was sold under. It was designed for turning bowls from green timber and had bronze instead of steel jaws. Steel reacts with tanin in wood and produces deep black stains. The four bronze jaws pivoted and each "jaw" had two contact points. The jaws pivoted to compensate for the bowl not being round after the timber dried. The chuck operates in both compression (for spiggots) or expansion to fit into a recess in the hole in the bottom of the bowl. It was supplied with two "C" spanners for tightening the chrome ring on the front of the chuck and also the locking nut at the back on the insert. It was a very good chuck but you needed an extra pair of hands to fit the dried bowl and use the spanners. It was also supplied with a screw chuck. I have one and used it a lot. That chuck has been superceded by the now popular scroll chuck. Must have a look and see if I can find it, it is somewhere in the shed.

Jim

Malindy
24th February 2017, 08:58 PM
Thank you so much Jim for the detailed reply. I shall now be able to educate all the other club members, all of whom had never seen anything like this before.

Richard

powderpost
24th February 2017, 09:58 PM
Found the chuck in the shed this afternoon. It was in fact supplied with two sets of jaws. One as described before with a second set of jaws similar to those used in the current chucks, but made from bronze. The two types can be seen in the photo at the beginning of the thread. The insert had a hole in it to accomodate a double ended screw chuck, one end has a left hand thread. There is a securing grub screw at the large end of the taper on the insert.

Jim

Malindy
25th February 2017, 11:20 AM
Thanks again for your knowledge and willingness to help a newbie.
Green wood turning seems to be something I might have to consider.

Cheers
Richard

Rod Gilbert
26th February 2017, 08:14 AM
Hi all,
Looking at this chuck I thought I got something like that, I purchased a lot of turning tools a while ago and was given a box of jaws no chuck I have 7 sets of jaws for this chuck if they are of any use to anyone let me know they range in size from 24mm - 100mm there was a piece of paper work with them that called it a multi-chuck II and lists a range of jaws in the range I mentioned.
Regards Rod.

powderpost
26th February 2017, 07:50 PM
Rod PM sent

Jim

Rod Gilbert
27th February 2017, 09:41 AM
Hi Jim,
There only 3 different sizes in these there are 3 sets of the smallest and 2 sets each of the others. If you want any or all let me know address and they are you're s. PM me with details sorry for some reason I couldn't add photos to reply to PM.
Regards Rod.

powderpost
27th February 2017, 08:57 PM
P.M. sent Rod

Jim