PDA

View Full Version : Sand paper whats the best?

KeithW
1st March 2017, 03:04 PM
Hi all

getting ready to order more sand Paper and I was wondering what is the best backing type for free hand sanding and material type?

pommyphil
1st March 2017, 04:11 PM
I use the colour coded stuff of Sandpaper Man. The colours save lots of time searching for the next grit down. :) Phil.

maņana
1st March 2017, 05:04 PM
Phil, you told me you don't use ANY sandpaper!!!

QuarkVI
1st March 2017, 07:11 PM
I am very partial to the abranet sheets BUT the downside is it is really hard to keep track of the grits.

Can also be quite expensive unless you track down a good deal (hint look for someone who supplies to panelbeaters).

Old Croc
1st March 2017, 08:01 PM
Hi all

getting ready to order more sand Paper and I was wondering what is the best backing type for free hand sanding and material type?
Keith, thats like asking whats the best woodlathe. It really is a personal choice as to what you use it on and how you use it. For me up here in the heat with humidity, I find for bowls and platters, that SIA cloth backed is the best. I have found inconsistencies with the grit size on the coloured stuff, but its ok. For the final finishing with sanding sealer I prefer wet and dry from the spraypaint supplier.
Rgds,
Crocy.

powderpost
1st March 2017, 08:45 PM
Hi all

Hi Keith, jeans weight cloth backed abrasives is the way to go. What brand is a personal preference. I have use SIA and Hermes, both good

Jim

hughie
2nd March 2017, 06:13 PM
I use a variety Noritake astra dot, Hermes, decorators anti clog from Bunnies and wet n dry. Buy always where possible in bulk, never buy anything pre-cut.