PDA

View Full Version : Durden L500 woodlathe

thelumberjack93
11th March 2017, 06:08 PM
Hi, though I have had experience in the past with woodturning I'm not too familiar with the machines themselves.

I purchased an aldi one second hand a few years ago and have used it once. It's just taking up space.
I have the opportunity to buy a Durden L500 for around $500.

Is this worth it or keep looking?

Matti

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

NeilS
13th March 2017, 12:35 PM
Hi, though I have had experience in the past with woodturning I'm not too familiar with the machines themselves.

I purchased an aldi one second hand a few years ago and have used it once. It's just taking up space.
I have the opportunity to buy a Durden L500 for around $500.

Is this worth it or keep looking?

Matti

Well made Australian lathe. Similar quality to earlier Woodfasts. Depending on condition, that price is very good.

Stay sharp!

Neil

thelumberjack93
13th March 2017, 01:09 PM
Well made Australian lathe. Similar quality to earlier Woodfasts. Depending on condition, that price is very good.

Stay sharp!

Neil
Thanks for the reply neil.

The condition is average. 1 Plate is rusted plus no tools. Been researching like anything about it. Have even contemplated making a lathe.
Haha

NeilS
13th March 2017, 01:13 PM

Stay sharp!

Neil
A very experienced forum member has pointed out to me that the Durden L500 lathe series (with pressed metal bed) came before the later much more substantial Top Turn series.

In which case, that price is more than you should pay.

Stay sharp!

Neil

NeilS
13th March 2017, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the reply neil.

The condition is average. 1 Plate is rusted plus no tools. Been researching like anything about it. Have even contemplated making a lathe.
Haha

In that case, given my above correction, definitely not a good buy.

Good luck with your search for a better lathe.

Stay sharp!

Neil