PDA

View Full Version : How long to receive council approval ?

twomonkeys
9th September 2005, 03:14 PM
Hello everyone

I know this forum is going to be so useful taking on an owner builder project ! :D BUT... before we even get to that stage I am wondering if anyone can tell me how long it takes for council to approve building plans for an extension. When we made an initial telephone enquiry, we were told that they (Council) were required to reply to us within 12 days but when we lodged in person today we were told a minimum of 6 weeks.

As owner builders, we were hoping to get a start on the work asap and complete most of the work by Xmas, but if the delays with approval go into late October, then this is unlikely. Then we hit the wet season :-(

Any help would be greatly appeciated.

DavidG
9th September 2005, 03:17 PM
Inversly proportional to the number of red bits of plastic attached to the application. :D :D :D

rod1949
9th September 2005, 03:32 PM
6 weeks seems reasonable. Remember they probably have others to review and approve as well.

Eastie
9th September 2005, 03:43 PM
So long as it doesn't need planning approval, it shouldn't take that long. If they can't deliver on time go to a private building surveyor and bypass the council (if you can). With hand drawn scale plans (drawn up by a mate who's got his builders license) and photos of the applicable areas I got the paperwork this morning after giving the surveyor a call Wednesday and meeting him at 8:30 today to go over the proposed works. It included retaining walls up to 1.2m, 3 new openings in external wall for french doors + windows, 1 opening in an internal load bearing wall, removal of another load bearing wall, construction of 2 decks and construction of a new shed. I could have had most of the works exempted under maintenance/replacement/cost <$5k, but I got it all on the building permit so there's no argument in the future. Have your plans in order and it should be an effortless process.

I also received council engineering approval for a second crossover (applied on Monday), without plans. I guess being in an area with the highest rate rises in Australia has the benefit of increased service.

twomonkeys
9th September 2005, 04:08 PM
Thanks Eastie ! We must live in the same area NO JOKES.. except for your comment regarding services. Sadly, we can't say the same.

All plans drawn professionally (5 sets from draftsman, 5 from engineer) plus plumbing plans and ALL for a 22sqm extension and some internal work. I did consider a building surveyor actually, but figured this might already add to our inflated 'initial' budget. I might look at this if we haven't heard something in a few weeks. Is there a great deal of cost involved with this ?

Thx again.

Eastie
9th September 2005, 04:18 PM
Not a lot more than going through the council as fees for permits are pretty well prescribed under local building regs (in mosrt cases), however fees do vary depending upon the number of inspections required. If you do go private try and get recommendations from others in the area, as like council inspectors, some realy toe the line on rules wheras others will allow the odd oversight and old school methods.

bitingmidge
9th September 2005, 04:46 PM
TwoMonks,

Private certification for a house extension in Queensland should take no more than two weeks at the very most.

I mostly allow a few days if it's simple but you have to have every bit of required documentation, (and a good relationship with the certifier) for that to happen.

I NEVER deal with a local authority for building approvals, they just take too long(!), and echo Eastie's advice.

Cheers,

P ;)

twomonkeys
9th September 2005, 05:00 PM
Well, thank you both ! Mmm.. I guess I should have done a bit of homework on this before lodging with council. Although as I said, they initially said 12 days and are now saying 6 weeks plus ! Don't suppose I can get a private surveyor involved now given we have already paid fees to council. Any thoughts ? Perhaps I'll just have to grin and bear it :( Lesson learnt.