PDA

View Full Version : VL300 tailstock quill jammed - any ideas?

rtyuiop
15th March 2017, 06:21 PM
Hi folks,

Was drilling some pen blanks this afternoon - on my second blank I was winding the quill back in (so minimal force being applied), and it seemed to suddenly jam.

If I unwind the set screw on the handwheel I can spin the wheel just fine, but I can't get the quill to move at all. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Danny

Phily
15th March 2017, 06:30 PM
Give Marco at Vicmarc a call. Good guy.

Woodturnerjosh
15th March 2017, 06:30 PM
If you've wound the quill right back into the tailstock casting they can bottom out and bind up easily. I'd give the handle a sharp tap with a rubber mallet (something I've done in the past when I wound the quill on my VL200 back too far). Hopefully we're talking about the same thing.

Cheers

Josh

rtyuiop
15th March 2017, 06:45 PM
Thanks guys - I will give both of these a try!

rtyuiop
15th March 2017, 07:07 PM
A sharp mallet tap didn't do the trick - and looking at it, the quill sn't retracted the whole way, still maybe 10mm out or so.

rtyuiop
16th March 2017, 08:49 AM
Last night I took the quill out of the tailstock and gave it a bit of a clean. Will reassemble tonight (assuming I can get the quill back in the tailstock, it's a *very* tight fit!).

The Vicmarc instructions say to grease it before reassembly... I am the world's worst machinist, does anyone have any recommendations for what sort of grease?

rtyuiop
16th March 2017, 05:41 PM
Think I have the issue pinned down with some help from Marco at vicmarc! The quill isn't rotating in the black bush which sits down near the back. Just waiting to see if Marco has a recommended fix.

I do love vicmarc - fast advice from someone who knows what they're talking about, and they even had a video on assembling a tailstock and quill assembly that was really useful!

rtyuiop
18th March 2017, 02:47 PM
Freed this up by giving the bush a good hit of WD40 and then committing a bit of minor violence (steel rule stuck through the handwheel and given a few whacks with a rubber mallet). It's currently smoother than ever, hopefully it stays that way when the WD40 is gone!