PDA

View Full Version : honing paste

qtown
18th March 2017, 06:12 PM
hi people. new to this forum. I would like some advice on a brand of honing paste I just got. I bought some Koch blue paste thinking it would be a paste that I could use on my leather honing wheel. obviously a dumb move. it is solid. how do I use it? thanks for your time

China
18th March 2017, 06:29 PM
I would assume you apply it to the spinning wheel, in my opinion a complete waste of time for woodturning tools

Paul39
19th March 2017, 03:02 AM
I turn 95 % bowls and a few tool handles. I'll give the skew a few swipes on 220 grit paper laid on the lathe bed. That's about the extent of my honing.

I mostly agree with China above. I think honing would be an advantage when making delicate finials and other fiddly stuff. Also plane irons, bench chisels, and carving tools.

If you think about how much timber is removed with a hand plane in a minute VS how much is removed by a lathe chisel from a bowl rotating at 800 RPM, that fine honed edge is gone in a few seconds.

Another opinion by a well respected turner:

http://woodturninglearn.net/articles/honingturningtools.htm

hughie
20th March 2017, 04:38 AM
I turn 95 % bowls and a few tool handles. I'll give the skew a few swipes on 220 grit paper laid on the lathe bed. That's about the extent of my honing.

I mostly agree with China above. I think honing would be an advantage when making delicate finials and other fiddly stuff. Also plane irons, bench chisels, and carving tools.

If you think about how much timber is removed with a hand plane in a minute VS how much is removed by a lathe chisel from a bowl rotating at 800 RPM, that fine honed edge is gone in a few seconds.

Another opinion by a well respected turner:

http://woodturninglearn.net/articles/honingturningtools.htm

Yup pretty much, when I turn some of our hardwoods the edge is gone in two cuts. Then its hard work as it needs a lick up with the diamond hone and a coarse one at that. If I turn a couple of hardwood hollow vessels in one day then everything I have used needs to back to the grinder. That applies to every brand I have P&N, Thompson, Hamlet 2060 etc, the only exception is a tungsten gouge tip I have it will go the distance.

ian
20th March 2017, 06:57 AM
hi people. new to this forum. I would like some advice on a brand of honing paste I just got. I bought some Koch blue paste thinking it would be a paste that I could use on my leather honing wheel. it is solid. how do I use it? thanks for your time
"touch" it to the spinning leather wheel. the friction should soften the paste and load it onto the wheel. Then you should be good to go