PDA

View Full Version : Sphere lidded box.

ptc
1st April 2001, 09:05 PM
lidded box in this months woodworker,how does one hold the half spheres ? and the best
way to start the progect.your help appreciated.

------------------
p.t.c

Marshall Gorrow
2nd April 2001, 12:11 AM
p.t.c wrote:

lidded box in this months woodworker,how does one hold the half spheres ? and the best
------------------

G'day p.t.c.

I always start a box between centers. Turn a spigot (tenon)
on each end to grip with a chuck or glue into a jam chuck. All turning (inside hollowing and outside final turning) is done by gripping the spigot. Since the spigots are parted off last and those areas hand sanded the shape of the box is not important. Actually, one of the ends can be finished on the lathe with the help of a couple of wraps of painter's tape (masking tape) around the joint where the lid joins the bottom.

Hollow Easter eggs can be tuned the same way. You may find the egg shape to be a little easier than a sphere for the first few tries.

I hope that this helps.

------------------

Marshall Gorrow
May your next turning be your best!

ptc
2nd April 2001, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Marshall Gorrow:
p.t.c wrote:

Marshall,
gee you stay up late.
thank you for help full info.
will let you know how i go. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
p.t.c

RFINK
3rd April 2001, 07:20 PM
And then there's the conventional way ...
Using a scroll chuck or a cup chuck, turn the lid first. You turn the inside of the lid and the rim of the lid, and start its outside, then part it off. Then begin the interior of the bottom, and the rim of the bottom. Turn the rim so that it serves as a jam chuck for the lid, and jam the lid on. Then finish the lid. Remove the lid and finish the rim of the bottom so that the lid fits snugly but not tightly. Then finish the interior of the bottom and start the external shape. Remove the bottom and make up a jam chuck so that the bottom can be reversed. Then finish the bottom. Em nau!

ptc
3rd April 2001, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by RFINK:
And then there's the conventional way ...
Using a scroll chuck or a cup chuck, turn the lid first. You turn the inside of the lid and the rim of the lid, and start its outside, then part it off. Then begin the interior of the bottom, and the rim of the bottom. Turn the rim so that it serves as a jam chuck for the lid, and jam the lid on. Then finish the lid. Remove the lid and finish the rim of the bottom so that the lid fits snugly but not tightly. Then finish the interior of the bottom and start the external shape. Remove the bottom and make up a jam chuck so that the bottom can be reversed. Then finish the bottom. Em nau! Thank You.Now I have two methods
to approach the project http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
p.t.c