PDA

View Full Version : sealing blanks with bondcrete

tony_A
11th April 2017, 07:53 PM
Was able to cut a few green blanks out of an old myrtle a couple of days ago. Had been keeping them wet with a sprinkler until I made time to seal the ends, Don't have any log grease of other approved sealer so was intending to use some old paint. Was doing a little patch up job on some concrete today which involved bondcrete. Seeing how it is used as a sealer for concrete, and looking at the blanks nearby got me wondering. Anyway the leftover bondcrete was painted onto the blanks and we will see what happens.
Anyone else used bondcrete to seal fresh cut blanks?

Tony

Oddy
11th April 2017, 07:58 PM
Yeah, I've used it on some blackwood logs. 6 to 8 months in now and they are still looking good, so assume it is doing the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cliff Rogers
11th April 2017, 08:22 PM
I think you could use just about anything, paint, glue, wax, block filler, whatever, just avoid mucky stuff that is going to be messy to handle later or fling off all around yer shed.

Don't be tempted to pinch the wife's hand cream. :D

powderpost
11th April 2017, 08:29 PM
Don't be tempted to pinch the wife's hand cream. :D

Why not? Would the face cream be better???

Cliff Rogers
11th April 2017, 10:38 PM
You first, I'll watch. :D

dai sensei
11th April 2017, 11:35 PM
I have, but found cheap PVA is basically the same thing, and cheaper

BobL
12th April 2017, 12:51 AM
More than a dozen years ago we had a tree taken down in our back yard and I had the tree slabs and then sealed them with Bondcrete and they were put under the house.

In 2011 I pulled out a couple of the slabs to use as bench tops in my shed.
I left the rough chainsaw cuts and Bondcrete on the ends and sanded and sealed the tops and they are still going strong - mind you they are now quite a bit dirtier than the photos show.