PDA

View Full Version : Kel McNaughton Bowl Coring System, Perth request

Willy Nelson
18th April 2017, 08:22 PM
Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen

I been loaned a Kel McNaughton Bowl Coring System from a mate, I have been onto Youtube, did a heap of research, and felt confident that I could core a bowl. Rather than starting small and using a piece of timber which wasn't valuable to me, I used a lovely big chunk of wet Cape Lillac, and promptly cored through the bottom, bugger:~.

Back to Youtube, done more research, but I wondered if anyone in the Perth area owned a Kel McNaughton Bowl Coring System and was willing to give me some supervision, at either your or mine workshop??
Thanks
Willy
Secret Harbour

Nubsnstubs
19th April 2017, 01:30 AM
Willy, I'm not even close to Perth, but will share my experience. So, you promptly cored through the bottom, huh? I did that on my very first attempt with crack free Mesquite at 14 1/4" OD, (fairly rare). Did that over 2 years ago, and still have it here waiting to do a design change. I was just in a hurry and used the wrong blade/cutter.

I did the same as you by watching a lot on youtube and read a lot on the system and did what I described above. Darn!!! Watched some more videos, or watched reruns, then went back and successfully cored about 50 pieces anywhere from 19" down to 4"OD. I found a site, can't remember who's it was, but this site had a diagram of coring from the edge of the blank instead of coring from the face. That way, you can get all blanks at the same OD, meaning larger bowls, platters or plates per blank instead of successively smaller finished pieces.

It's funny that we have Reed Gray and Mike Mahoney coring a lot of bowls using totally opposite techniques, yet achieving the same result. I don't know if this helped, but good luck. "Patience is your friend and will reward you in the future". < Isn't that a load of ??

I did find a video of someone that had made a jig for accurately getting successful cores. If you haven't found it already, I suppose you'll need to keep looking. If I can find it again, I'll post it................. Jerry (in Tucson)

Woodturnerjosh
20th April 2017, 08:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS2yIb0HAU4&t=1431s

This demonstration by Dale Bonertz is the one that helped me understand the set up and sighting in of the McNaughton and I've since taken well over a hundred a cores with only one or two being a bit thin in the base but still useable.

Cheers

Josh

Willy Nelson
21st April 2017, 12:06 AM
Hello Josh
Yes, I have seen that vid, but thanks for posting again.
I will grab some more wet timber and have another crack
Cheers
Willy

Willy Nelson
21st April 2017, 12:07 AM
Hello Jerry
I lived in the states for awhile, but never made it to Tucson,
But thanks for your comments.
I hope to give it a try in the next 2 weeks as I have a 6 week holiday coming up, so will give it a crack
Cheers
Willy