PDA

View Full Version : Triton Saw set-up

zydeco
12th November 2001, 12:10 PM
Bought a work centre on the weekend and a GMC 9 1/4" saw to go with it. Now comes the fun part - setting it up. Does anyone have any tips?

DPB
12th November 2001, 01:08 PM
Yes, read twice, assemble once!

If you are like most of us, we think we understand how somehting should go together, so we set aside the assembly instructions a forge ahead. Then we wonder why the 'bloody thing' didn't go together right.

I recently purchase the Triton Workcentre 2000, and the only time I ran into difficulty was when I started making assumptions. But I persevered, went back to the instructions and ended up with a great result. The Workcentre works very well, is very accurate and holds its settings, even after I move it around within my shop.

I read others in this bulletin board commenting on the Triton innability to hold its settings. So far, touch wood, this has not been my experience.

Take your time getting it right, you will be happy you did.

DPB

Glenn M
12th November 2001, 02:17 PM
Does anyone have any tips?

Watch the video, it's handier than you may think.

------------------
Glenn
www.woodworkbooks.com (http://www.woodworkbooks.com)

zydeco
12th November 2001, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the ideas.
Read the instructions! Surely that's a last resort! Actually, I know exactly what you mean "What would they know? They only built the thing!"
I didn't get a video, I bought it second hand.
Anyone tried drilling the 2 locator holes found on the triton saw in the base plate of their non-triton saw? Am I looking for trouble going down this road?

Badger
13th November 2001, 09:38 PM
I didn’t modify my saw (Makita) and found it fitted very well. I did, however, buy the height adjustment attachment and ‘new’ saw bed. One other thing I found was that the band clamps for ‘rigidifying’ a non-triton saw was a great advantage for maintaining consistently square cuts. (DON’T try assembling the support without the instructions!!!!)

------------------
Badger - A gruff short tempered animal that sleeps most of the winter

zydeco
14th November 2001, 11:10 AM
Thanks. It came with the height adjuster, but I might look into the bands to make it more rigid. There is a lot of movement at the height pivot point. The saw also came with a 20 tooth blade which has all the finesse of a chain saw.

barrysumpter
15th November 2001, 07:30 PM
I had a POS B&D. The arbor float drove me nuts. The stabalizing bracket was a waste of time for the POS B&D.

A higher quality saw should reduce the arbor float. Its more expensive but the precision induces confidence. And less stress.

The Triton saw was specifically designed siverely reduce prevent arbor float.

Mine doesnt move which which means I don't need the stabalizing bracket. But there is a micro adjuster built into the Triton saw.

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter
Proud Tritoneer

zydeco
16th November 2001, 12:55 PM
Barry. I know the Triton is a much better beast for the job. I'm taking a course at Holmesglen at the moment and last night I looked at that very thing (arbour float). I think a finer saw might help a lot too. However the main movement seems to be from the pivot, which the stabliser should fix, should it not?

barrysumpter
17th November 2001, 08:13 AM
If your writing about how the motor housing pivots on the mounting plate, then yes the stabilizing bracket will help with this. I found that even though the housing was stable the arbour float is what caused my inaccuracy. And there is nothing I could figure out to compensate for the float.

Other than purchasing a saw which was specifically designed to aleviate this problem.

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter
Proud Tritoneer

zydeco
19th November 2001, 10:53 AM
Bit the bullet and bought the Triton saw yesterday. It has make all the difference. I took back the old one, no problem. So it felt like I bought the Triton at half price.
Thanks for all the help.

barrysumpter
21st November 2001, 08:22 AM
Congrats Zy,

Welcome to the world of consistent accuracy. (with a little maintenance)

Now, which project to build first? hmmmmm http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter
Proud Tritoneer