PDA

View Full Version : Two concave hemispheres

Glider
27th April 2017, 03:08 PM
Firstly, I'm a woodworker but sadly not a turner so I'm looking for both advice from the experts and someone in Sydney who might take on a small paid commission.

A friend has asked me if she could have an item made for making jewellery. It consists of a block of hard wood about 250 x 250 x 200 with two concave hemispheres with diameters 85mm and 60mm included. The are essentially dies which are used to tap out curved shapes in annealed silver sheet; so the timber has to be hard. I have a block of tallowwood which might be OK plus some other close grained hardwood stock.

The hemispheres don't have to be absolutely perfect but close enough to pass for the desired shapes rather and a semi-ellipse.

Is anyone interested in taking this on?

mick :)

Oddy
27th April 2017, 05:31 PM
That should be pretty easy to do I would think. If hammering metal sheets into it, I would probably make the hemispheres in the end grain for strength. I'll leave it to see if you get any responses from someone closer (and more experienced). Another option you might consider is find a smooth ball of the diameter you need and use it to mold the indentation in a resin casting. There are some very strong resins available and might prove cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nubsnstubs
28th April 2017, 12:21 AM
I'll lay out my 2 cents on this. I have Dapping dies, but none this large. It looks like you need something over 3 1/2". For the piece I dapped that was too large for my dapping block, I used a 5 pound piece of lead. I made the punch from wood, and proceeded to punch into the lead until I got the shape and size I wanted. I then laid in what I wanted domed, and did it. I spent more time trying to figure out what I was going to use for the project than it took to do the job.......

Amazon has a lot of Dapping/Doming sets out of wood. None of the size you're looking for. So, you shouldn't have any problems getting it made it from wood............ Jerry (in Tucson)

Robson Valley
28th April 2017, 05:40 AM
Come into my kitchen. I have a custom-made set of 8 tortelli pasta molds. 2.5" diameter hollow, 3/4" deep, 1/2" edging all around.
I gave the turner some hard maple. He cut it into 4" squares and screwed each of those to a face plate (? I know squat about turning).
He turned, sanded and burnished what I wanted.

Next, I mounted them in rows of 4 so I could roll the tops and bottoms as single pasta sheets.
Lobster mornay is a nice filling, so is shredded elk or bison.

You turn lumps of hard wood with the cavities as specified.
Then mount those on base wood plates that can be clamped to the bench = done deal.

Glider
28th April 2017, 09:55 AM
a nice filling, so is shredded elk or bison.

You turn lumps of hard wood with the cavities as specified.
Then mount those on base wood plates that can be clamped to the bench = done deal.

Thanks mate. Turning smaller squares and re-attaching them into the original block is a great idea.

mick

p.s. Not too sure about eating roadkill though. :)

Robson Valley
28th April 2017, 10:26 AM
All of a sudden, I thought that my tortelli molds are just about exactly whay you are asking for. Had to get one out and measure to be certain.

Tonight, I'm serving "Smear of Deer," which was about $3,000.00 damage to my Suburban. The windscreen washers are still cross-eyed.
If you're brave, how about: "Guess The Mess?" Get it right and you eat for free.

I can see the bison pastures from my kitchen windows, maybe 2km over west to the 8,000' snow covered mountain range.
I barter bison for things like pork and elk and venison. Been a long time, maybe 1 side of 2 yr old bison every winter for 15+ years.
Tastes like what beef is trying to be. Cut it with a fork tender. Even made ruffed grouse tortelli one time. Stained glass sage pasta.

Xanthorrhoeas
28th April 2017, 08:30 PM
Aaah Robson, and here I thought you were a woodworker - now I find you are a gourmet! Wonderful. Your landscape/foodscape sounds superb - if I could stand the cold - and the wildlife, erm, spectacular and tasty?
Yours in jest
Xanthorrhoeas

Enfield Guy
28th April 2017, 09:32 PM
Grossly off topic, but, if you kill it with a vehicle I think you have a right, nay, an obligation to consume the critter. Hmmmm, protein!!

Robson Valley
29th April 2017, 02:25 AM
I hope to see the silver chasing done as described in OP #1. Have a local friend who designs and builds a wide range of silver jewellry.
I've been carving for 15+ years, piddle around in the summers with grapes.

Bringing home road kill is a small measure of compensation for the damage.
Carry a tarp as it's sort of messy, shall we say, some times.
A few times, I've been witness to spectacular collisions and that's a whole new thread in itself.

Quite frankly, road kill feeds a wide spectrum of wildlife from bears to eagles, the big cats, wolves, coyotes and Ravens.

Glider
29th April 2017, 11:27 AM
Grossly off topic, but, if you kill it with a vehicle I think you have a right, nay, an obligation to consume the critter. Hmmmm, protein!!

Let's hope you never hit a wombat, both for the damage to the car & its questionable culinary value.

BTW, I found a bunch of people selling dapping dies online, so...problem solved.

Sounds like we need a separate thread about roadkill. I have one about airkill.

mick :)

Robson Valley
29th April 2017, 11:47 AM
Possibly not. If you don't know the provenance of said flesh, we leave it here. It will be cleaned up ASAP.
Here it gets buried in the winter snow and the birds, like the Ravens and eagles, have to wait until the kill gets
uncovered by the bigger animals. Over night, 60cm fresh snow shuts out the birds.

I shovel a long track in my front yard on those snowy days (or -20C and colder) and put out bread crusts and dry dog food for the the Ravens.
I have an Unkindness of about a dozen who recognize me.

I need to follow the silver work. Please keep me posted on that, thank you.