PDA

View Full Version : Banksia Pods

Fumbler
3rd May 2017, 05:22 AM
Team,

Does anyone know, (short of me scrounging in the scrub) where I can acquire some Banksia pods, either natural or stabilized?

thank you

dai sensei
3rd May 2017, 10:26 AM
Which ones are you after? There are plenty of the coastal banksia, the small ones, around the coastal areas around Sydney. There are also slightly larger ones like the swamp banksia or other species more inland from Sydney amongst the sandy or sandstone areas.

I have a few of all these species but use them to cast and stabilise. I do sell them once processed.

If you are after the big ones, Banksia grandis from WA, then they are sometimes available from woodturning suppliers. There were heaps at Maleny and perhaps will be available at your local shows. I know the local woodworking gallery at Maleny do sell them starting at $4 each but postage can be a killer due to their weight and Aus postal charges.

dusteater
3rd May 2017, 12:55 PM
We have three Banksias here on the land... Grandis , Attenuata and a Swamp banksia.... lots of pods ,The Grandis is a smallish tree with huge pods , the Attenuata is a massive tree with small pods and the swamp is in between.
Like Neil said the postage could be an issue ,depending on what you want them for and what size you`re after.5 Kg postage is $20 ,so that is a start and with the Grandis they average 300-450 g, but would only fit 4-5 in a post bag , the others you would obviously get more ,would have to find that out.

lovetoride
3rd May 2017, 04:27 PM
My daughter has just bought a house on the South Coast below Batemans Bay in NSW. I was amazed at how many banksias there are around there in the bush - medium size shrubs massed with large pods.

Is there anything specific to be aware of as to when to pick and how to store them?