PDA

View Full Version : Jig 55 scheppach help

mick661
10th May 2017, 09:46 PM
Hello to put it frankly this is doing my head in.
I just bought a scheppach 2000.

NCArcher
11th May 2017, 09:49 AM
We are going to need a bit more info. What is doing your head in?

mick661
11th May 2017, 09:54 AM
Gday mate the plate that needs to be attached to the round chisel holder doesn't appear to have the correct screw/bolt .

mick661
11th May 2017, 08:44 PM
These are the parts i am talking about. The bolt is not long enough to attach the plate to the ring. Also is the wheel running the wrong way. In this orientation the wheel is running away from me. ie the bar is at the rear of the machine hope this makes sense. I dont seem to be able to load pictures

orraloon
12th May 2017, 09:43 AM
See if this is any help.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/876508/Scheppach-Tiger2000s.html

Regards
John

mick661
12th May 2017, 11:56 AM
Thanks mate after many hours of utubing i will be getting tormek jigs. They appear so much better.
Mick

orraloon
12th May 2017, 04:11 PM
Mick,
I know what you are saying about the jigs. I got one when I started turning and the jigs are a fiddle. Does an ok job when you do get the jigs sorted but still takes time setting up. Most who persist with it get the tormek jigs. It prompted me to learn free hand sharpening so now do all the gouges that way. I do still use it for regrinding the primary bevels and it is great for edges that are well out of shape as you can't burn the tool.
Regards
John

Sturdee
12th May 2017, 11:33 PM
Although I changed to the Tormek jigs I still use the round Seppach one to sharpen my large spindle roughing gouge as that is to large to fit the Tormek jig.

Peter.

dwp
14th May 2017, 08:12 PM
Thats the way to go Mick, just get the spindle/bowl jig and I find the diamond wheel dresser is also good, I have the 10 inch scheppach, check it will fit the 8 inch. I do my skews freehand. I also set the spindle jig on No2 and leave it there. Then use a stickout of 55mm for spindle gouges.Do a set up with one at your fav angle against the wheel by moving the bar in or out to get the angle, the mark the bar. Same for bowl gouges stickout of 65 and set the bar distance. I do not move the leg on the jig from No2. Works for me.
David

mick661
14th May 2017, 08:41 PM
Thanks david sounds like a plan to me

mick661
15th May 2017, 05:10 PM
I bought the gouge jig much better.
Next question do you really need the extra leather honing wheel for the inside of the gouges

Paul39
20th May 2017, 09:56 AM
I bought the gouge jig much better.
Next question do you really need the extra leather honing wheel for the inside of the gouges

I use rolled up 320 or 400 grit sandpaper for honing mine. With a dowel for shallow gouges just rolled for bowl gouges so the paper conforms to the inside of the gouge. Used paper partially clogged from finishing bowls works fine.

mick661
20th May 2017, 12:23 PM
Thanks that should work reasonably well

dwp
21st May 2017, 11:20 AM
Hi Mick. I have the honing wheels but rarely use them maybe the big flat one on skews. At the club where I am a member, the more experienced turners use a buff on a grinder (6 inch) with metal buffing compound, if I get good enough to tell the difference between off the wheel or off the buff I'll start buffing.
David