PDA

View Full Version : Doug3030's Open Shed Day 2017

doug3030
14th May 2017, 08:44 PM
Last October we had a get together at my shed. http://www.woodworkforums.com/f303/melbourne-fgt-october-2016-a-208847 has the details.

Everyone had a good time despite some questionable weather so I thought we might do it again this year. :2tsup:

Mark your calendars - 11:00am to 4:00pm Sunday 22 October 2017 at my shed in Hoppers Crossing in Melbourne.

We will work out more of the details over the coming months but it will probably be similar to last years but with less huddling in the shed out of the wind and rain and more open air activities in the sunshine I bought on Ebay just for the occasion.

:bbq2: :bbq2: :bbq2: :bbq2:

So who is coming? Victorians and interstate visitors equally welcome.

Cheers

Doug

crowie
14th May 2017, 09:15 PM
What's the secret hand shake to get by the guards.....

Pagie
14th May 2017, 09:19 PM
me, kick it to me....

Simplicity
14th May 2017, 10:24 PM
Ok
We will show up [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oldgreybeard
15th May 2017, 08:23 PM
Thanks for puting it on again. Count me in too
Bob

Gabriel
15th May 2017, 08:50 PM
Alas it is number 1 sons second birthday .... and I like my privates where they are currently located so I'll have to pass(I seem to recall last time I only make a guest appearance as well)
Sorry Doug, but I'm sure you'll see me round the traps to clip me over the ear and voice your disappointment...

crowie
15th May 2017, 08:59 PM
Alas it is number 1 sons second birthday .... so I'll have to pass(I seem to recall last time I only make a guest appearance as well)
Sorry Doug, but I'm sure you'll see me round the traps to clip me over the ear and voice your disappointment...

I'm sure Doug wouldn't mind rejigging the "GTG" as a two year old birthday party :birthday2::wish::cake 08::balloons::Party::cakerms::bbq2::fireworks:....
Many, no, some would feel right at home :roll: :o

doug3030
15th May 2017, 09:18 PM
Alas it is number 1 sons second birthday .... and I like my privates where they are currently located so I'll have to pass(I seem to recall last time I only make a guest appearance as well)

Well, rather than voice my disappointment, seeing as how it is still early in the planning stage, Gab, would you be able to get a leave pass if we moved it to the following weekend - Sunday 29 October. That just happens to be my oldest son's 32nd birthday but I doubt we will be seeing him on the day.

You could even bring the boy and his mum if you like. He could play with my grandson who just turned 2.

So if Gab can make 29th October and changing the date does not knock anyone else out, I am happy to make the change.

Cheers

Doug

Gabriel
15th May 2017, 10:43 PM
Very VERY generous gesture, but number 2 is due early November so that could possibly be an actual 'birth day'!!
(Very excited, but it means I'll get even less shed time in the foreseeable future.)

So whilst I could be more likely to attend on that date I still couldn't concrete it in so would prefer no to upset the applecart.

Thanks for trying though Doug, very hospitable !

doug3030
15th May 2017, 10:59 PM
Very VERY generous gesture, but number 2 is due early November so that could possibly be an actual 'birth day'!!
(Very excited, but it means I'll get even less shed time in the foreseeable future.)

I hear you Gab. It makes me happy that I have all that behind me, not that I regret any of it but I have moved on and the family has grown up.

The good news is that you can actually get a lot of shed time back when the kids get old enough to watch then later participate and learn. If you work it right your wife will thank you for taking the kids to the shed to give her a break from them. But the best shed time is when you have grandkids.

I hope all goes well for your expanding family.

Cheers

Doug

doug3030
7th June 2017, 06:15 PM
Ok, lets lock the date in as Sunday, 22 October 2017, 11.00am - 4.00pm.

So far we have:

Pagie
Simplicity and Sally
Oldgreybeard and Maureen
Doug3030 and Jools

Apologies from Gabriel

If all goes according to plan and my back does not let me down too much between now and then I may have some new "Shed Furniture" to show off. :woot:

And of course there will be: :bbq2:

So who else is coming?

Doug

crowie
8th June 2017, 06:44 PM
Please accept my apologies Doug.
I'll be in Canberra at the War Memorial as my cousin found our my great grandfather [Harry Fourro] has a spot in the Wall of Remembrance after being killed in action in France in 1917 .
Ironic that his future son-in-law, my grandfather [Thomas Dalgleish], received the Military Medal for Gallantry Under Fire not far from were his to be wife's father gave his life for his country.
Cheers, Peter

issatree
8th June 2017, 08:27 PM
Hi Doug,
Put me down as well, as I enjoyed your last one, so this should work out just as good.

doug3030
21st August 2017, 08:50 PM
Just two months to go now until my Open Shed day on Sunday 22 October at Hoppers Crossing, Melbourne so I thought I might bump this thread up again.

We had a great turnout last year for the inaugural event and everyone had a great time.

So far we have:

Pagie
Simplicity and Sally
Oldgreybeard and Maureen
Doug3030 and Jools
Issatree

Apologies from:

Gabriel
Crowie

Who else wants to come? Interstate and out of town visitors most welcome.

Cheers

Doug

Bohdan
21st August 2017, 09:24 PM
Count me in.

Pagie
21st August 2017, 10:49 PM
Can you send me your address please Doug.

doug3030
21st August 2017, 11:15 PM
Can you send me your address please Doug.

Hi Pagie,

I am in the "Bellbridge" Estate in Hoppers Crossing. It's the one with the big shed in the back yard with three 15 amp and three 10 amp circuits all on its own sub-board. You can't miss it. :D

I will be sending the exact address to all the confirmed attendees the week before the event along with the secret password and handshake, in a PM. :2tsup:

Cheers

Doug

Pagie
22nd August 2017, 11:26 AM
Thanks Doug

justonething
10th September 2017, 04:58 PM
Count me in Doug. I'm in Melbourne until the end of October.

doug3030
11th September 2017, 09:17 PM
Less than six weeks to go now. :oo:

Who else is coming?

So far we have:

Pagie
Simplicity and Sally
Oldgreybeard and Maureen
Doug3030 and Jools
Issatree
Bohdan
Justonething

Apologies from:

Gabriel
Crowie

doug3030
26th September 2017, 10:20 PM
Just bumping this one up again since it is now less than four weeks until the big day.

All things being well the new workbench should be nearing completion. See the progress here: http://www.woodworkforums.com/f213/overdue-workbench-build-216908 See it in real life at the GTG.

Anyone else wanting to come along?

Cheers

Doug

Simplicity
8th October 2017, 07:12 PM
I hope you have been busting your gut on your work bench Sir!!

Your GTG is getting closer[emoji41]

doug3030
8th October 2017, 08:20 PM
I hope you have been busting your gut on your work bench Sir!!

Your GTG is getting closer[emoji41]

Thanks for the shameless bump Matt.

I am still making progress on the bench but not as fast as I was hoping due to some family concerns eating into shed time, but I still try to do a bit each day. I will post an update soon in my bench build thread.

Meanwhile any other starters for the day?

Cheers

Doug

doug3030
14th October 2017, 11:20 PM
Regrettably, I have to announce that we will need to postpone this open shed day.

Jools's mum is having health issues which require us to commit a fair bit of time to looking after her and getting her to medical appointments and hospital commitments.

We now have other commitments on the day which naturally take precedence over the open shed day.

We will make a definite date to hold the rescheduled event soon, but it will probably be in February.

Matt (Simplicity) has an open shed day in November, everyone is always overcommitted in December and Dave TTC has an event in January so February is looking good for mine.

Apologies to anyone who has given up something else to attend next Sunday but the upside is that others who were not available for the original date may be able to attend on the new date.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Thanks for your understanding

Doug

Pagie
15th October 2017, 06:12 AM
No problems Doug3030, Family comes first. Look after Mum first.

Simplicity
15th October 2017, 09:11 AM
Not a problem Doug
And give Jools a hug from us both

justonething
15th October 2017, 10:59 AM
Thanks for letting me know. Look after your family.

Oldgreybeard
16th October 2017, 09:01 AM
No problem with changing the date. Hope Jool's mum is better soon

Bob

doug3030
28th January 2018, 06:28 PM
After much discussion among the family and with a few of the potential attendees at our GTG we have decided to give the 2017 event a miss as things have not settled down with family health issues as yet.

So with 2017 out of the equation, we are announcing the date of our 2018 GTG - Sunday 14 October 2018. Mark it in your calendars!

Cheers

Doug

Simplicity
28th January 2018, 06:57 PM
After much discussion among the family and with a few of the potential attendees at our GTG we have decided to give the 2017 event a miss as things have not settled down with family health issues as yet.

So with 2017 out of the equation, we are announcing the date of our 2018 GTG - Sunday 14 October 2018. Mark it in your calendars!

Cheers

Doug

My people have ok this event,Doug for us to attend.[emoji849]

Cheers Matt

doug3030
28th January 2018, 07:10 PM
My people have ok this event,Doug for us to attend.[emoji849]

Cheers Matt

Thanks Matt, I will advise "my people" of "your people's" decision.

Simplicity
28th January 2018, 07:12 PM
Thanks Matt, I will advise "my people" of "your people's" decision.

Possibly all ready done lol
Remember we are just drivers [emoji849]

Gabriel
28th January 2018, 08:07 PM
Sweet!
1 week before number 2s first birthday (24th) and number 1s third birthday (22nd)

Mark me down for a 'rain hail or shine's

Thanks heaps if my family commitments influenced the dates at all

Cheers
Gab

doug3030
28th January 2018, 09:32 PM
Sweet!
1 week before number 2s first birthday (24th) and number 1s third birthday (22nd)

Gab, do you or Simone have a birthday around 1 - 3 February, or maybe an anniversary or something, by any chance? :?

Gabriel
28th January 2018, 09:41 PM
Nope....
Simone is March 2
I'm April 30
Wedding is Oct 19 (very busy week for us)

Why's that?

doug3030
28th January 2018, 09:45 PM
Why's that?

Just counting back from 22 and 24 October...

Gabriel
28th January 2018, 09:48 PM
Just counting back from 22 and 24 October...:q:U

doug3030
19th February 2018, 03:04 PM
I have just started new thread for the 2018 event to be in keeping with the forum rules. The new thread is here:

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f303/doug3030s-shed-day-14-october-2018-a-219788#post2070740

Please check out the new thread and subscribe to it so that you get any updates. :2tsup:

Cheers

Doug