PDA

View Full Version : Pin Chuck

Brianne163
19th May 2017, 01:07 PM
This idea seems to be little known these days. I guess being a mature aged person sometimes helps. You just have to remember the details.
When I am making my bud vases, I have had a problem rechucking it after parting off. Obviously I cannot grip the smaller end without damaging it.
I vaguely remembered a type of chuck that would do this but could not remember the name.
I knew vaguely that it was a rod of a certain diameter with a flat on it and a small rod the diameter of which equalled the depth of the flat. Placing them in a drilled hole, they locked together when the item was rotated.
This morning, the memory kicked in and I remembered it was a pin chuck.
Out to the shed to make one and it worked perfectly. I can now re turn the base concave, decorate it and sand smooth and polish.
I mention this in case anyone out there has a need for a similar item.
Here is a link to a video of the chuck. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Odu1cT3AwUE

Brianne163
20th May 2017, 02:10 PM
Hi Folks
Two pics of a bud vase I just made. It was made from laminated parquet flooring strips. (Oak)
With the pin chuck I was able to reverse it after parting off and then work on the bottom.
Gave it a concave base and then a few concentric grooves for decoration.
Don't think I will bother using the parquet strips for this again, bit dissapointed in it.
You don't know until you try it.