PDA

View Full Version : Blackwood bowl

wood hacker
20th May 2017, 09:04 AM
Hi All

It's been a while since I posted a bowl (mainly beeen doing flatwork of late) but this is one I finished recently. The blank is the one on the left in the first pic and came curtesy of Dai Sensei. This was possibly the most challenging blank I've had to do. While the timber is not particually hard it must have a high silica content as I was getting only one pass with a standard HHS tool before having to resharpen. Even my Thompson V10 gouge was only getting a few passes. Ended up using carbide tools and this got the job done.

There was quite a large void in one side left from an irregularity in the blank that I filled with tinted epoxy as well as numerous beetle / borer holes that were either filled with epoxy or where the dust was still pretty compact in them soaked with thin CA and allowed to harden.

All up I'm pretty happy with the final result other than the finish was a bit rushed and not quite as good as I would have liked but the customer was extremely happy so that will do me. Overall sixe is approx 26cm diameter and 8cm in high and is finished in satin WOP.

cheers
WH

Christos
21st May 2017, 11:12 AM
Very nice bowl and I love the fact that you filled with epoxy.