PDA

View Full Version : Sheoak Chopping Board

Willy Nelson
26th May 2017, 07:07 PM
Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen

I turned this Sheoak chopping board, plus couple of pens for a young niece and her partner as a house warming. First house at 24, I wish them well. The photo does NOT do the grain justice, the colour and grain are awesome.

The board is 370mm across, very unusual for me to cut Sheoak at that size, as it cracks very easily during seasoning. I chose Sheoak as the poor couple only live in Victoria and usually only experience stinky Easterner weed types of timber, not WA's finest. I know they will love it.
The finish is 5 coats of Gilly Stephenson food safe oil
Sincerely
Willy

P.W.H.
26th May 2017, 07:40 PM
I see what you mean with 'the photo does not do the grain justice'. It sure is a very attractive wood. But, like you mentioned, I've experienced horrid
cracking, and also buckling, twisting and cupping with sheoak. I don't think a single piece of sheoak I tried to turn came out well enough for my liking. It
all ended up on the bbq. Sheoak, and Banksia, too.

kudos, for managing it: you must have done an exceptionally good job seasoning it.

dai sensei
26th May 2017, 07:50 PM
Nice work Willy :2tsup:

As for our weeds, here's some of our Rose Sheoak, for when you want a bigger cutting board with real colour:harhar: :U

413185 413184

pommyphil
27th May 2017, 08:44 AM
Yes we are deprived. Just nasty weeds.413195 Phil

Willy Nelson
27th May 2017, 11:13 AM
Wow
Nice timbers there fellows.

Neil, Yes, thanks for the offer, I accept :wink:

Sincerely
Willy

dusteater
27th May 2017, 12:37 PM
:cool:

Paul39
28th May 2017, 12:16 AM
I wouldn't mind having some of those "Eastern Weeds"

Christos
30th May 2017, 08:54 AM

:lolabove:

Old Croc
31st May 2017, 02:25 PM
Well get your shopping list in and I will see what i can do.
Crocy.