PDA

View Full Version : Advise on first lathe

nebben838
17th June 2017, 08:23 PM
Hey everyone,
My name's Ben. I'm new to the forum and to wood turning. I'm looking at getting my first lathe and would like some advise on a good entry level lathe.

Thanks in advance

nebben838
17th June 2017, 08:24 PM
Should have mentioned I live on the Mornington peninsula in Victoria so I'd prefer to buy local ish but freight isn't out of the question.

Gabriel
17th June 2017, 08:31 PM
Best option would be to wander into the peninsula turners (McClelland drv) ... They have a great setup, heaps of awesome members and I'm sure you could have a chat/try out whilst there.
Alas, I live 5 mind from it but too busy to commit to the club but as soon as I can I'll be there with bells on.

Generally speaking though, secondhand is a better way to go as you could get your hands on a solid lathe as well as the ever multiplying (and expensive) extras you will need to turn - chisels, chucks, sharpening etc

Anyways... That's my 2 c

doug3030
17th June 2017, 09:31 PM
secondhand is a better way to go as you could get your hands on a solid lathe as well as the ever multiplying (and expensive) extras you will need to turn - chisels, chucks, sharpening etc

I agree with Gabriel about starting with a second-hand lathe. Put an ad in the Wanted section of the forum marketplace. There is likely to be someone who has progressed from a beginners lathe to something much more expensive and all their beginners gear is sitting idle in their shed gathering dust and rust. They might be just as happy to sell it as you would be to get it.