PDA

View Full Version : Sherwood MC1100 speeds

Woiim
27th June 2017, 02:06 PM
Hi was wondering if anyone can tell me how to get the 10 speeds nominated on the MC1100 plaque. It is a new lathe and the manual mentions the 10 speeds but I am unable to select more than 5 as that is how many detents are in the selector lever. I have asked Timbecon for more info but that was 4 weeks ago and nothing back from them yet. I have never done any woodturning before and all areas are new to me.

turnerted
27th June 2017, 04:44 PM
Is there another pulley giving a high and low speed range ?
Ted

Woiim
27th June 2017, 05:52 PM
Is there another pulley giving a high and low speed range ?
Ted
I haven't opened it up at all but according to the parts diagram no other pulley other than the reeves pulley

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th June 2017, 08:25 PM
5 selectable speeds with the lathe turned OFF and five with it turned ON? :innocent:

Seriously, I've no idea where they get the 10 speeds from. With a reeves pulley you'll get every speed between the slowest possible and the fastest possible. Almost all the MC-1100s adverts I've seen specify simply "Speed: 500-2000rpm."

The 5 detents are handy for a quick approximate setting - and to lock it AT that speed - but you are able to also use it between detent settings, so long as the lever doesn't want to "vibrate into" the detent. (Some lathes do, some don't. There's even variations in the behaviour of the same make and model... guess some are Monday assemblies, some are Fridays... :shrug:)

hughie
27th June 2017, 10:56 PM
As it a mechanical variable speed lathe anywhere the handle/lever is placed is a speed setting. I had a MC1100 5 notches with a claim of ten speeds, never really worried about as its not important.

Woiim
28th June 2017, 01:50 PM
Thanks for your help guys

chambezio
28th June 2017, 02:26 PM
Woiim. Could I encourage you to seek out a local Wood Turning Club. If you are not used to whirling machines that you have to poke in a metal hand held tool to make something, the task can be daunting. The whole process in using a lathe is pretty simple but to get a knowledgeable person to guide you through the process is valuable.

You want to be able to enjoy your journey through the learning process to become proficient rather than being intimidated.

As for speeds...I made my own lathe 35 years ago. It has a step pulley giving 4 speeds. The top speed is around 4500 rpm which is way too fast, so I only use the other 3. With experience you will "know" what speed you need for a particular timber/size without having to work it out.

Good luck with your new found hobby. Make sure you put up photos of your successes as well as your not so good results. We may be able to help you out

Woiim
28th June 2017, 03:22 PM
Thanks Rod will look into finding a club on the Gold Coast, only have weekends spare to work on the new toy.