PDA

View Full Version : Tungsten carbide cutter and a new chisel

Willy Nelson
30th June 2017, 09:47 PM
Good evening ladies and gentlemen
I have been very busy in the 'Studio' of late, but that will be discussed in other thread.
A very good friend John Scarfe was kind enough to manufacture this TCT cutter for me. The utter was purchased very cheaply in Hong Kong. The stainless steel shaft was a cupboard door handle in a former life, machined down and threaded to accept a small Allen headed screw to hold the TCT cutter in place. John was even kind enough to rough down a piece of sheoak and bore the hole.
All I had to do was shape, finish the handle and glue in the shaft, what a good mate.

I mounted the sheoak between centres and shaped the handle, embellished it with the Robert sorry texturing tool and a little bit of wire burning before coating the handle in mineral oil and wax.

I glued the shaft in with araldite and tested it, bloody lovely, especially on our WA timbers which can be very hard on tools.
Cheers
willy
Jarrahland

Chief Tiff
30th June 2017, 10:24 PM
First bit of spindle work I've seen from from you for a while! Any chance of a picture of the business end?

Paul39
1st July 2017, 11:11 AM
Nice handle. How about a photo of the cutter.

Willy Nelson
1st July 2017, 10:20 PM
Hello Gents
Yes, on shift at the moment, when next down the studio, will snap a piccy, most likely Monday
Cheers
Willy

Big A
2nd July 2017, 09:22 AM
"Robert sorry texturing tool" Intentional or predictive text?:)
Alister.

Willy Nelson
3rd July 2017, 12:21 AM
Ooooops, I did mean Robert Sorby, may have been auto correct on the Ipad
Willy

"Robert sorry texturing tool" Intentional or predictive text?:)
Alister.

Willy Nelson
3rd July 2017, 07:25 PM
As promised, here are some photos of the business end of the cutter
Cheers
Willy

chambezio
3rd July 2017, 09:16 PM
Great looking weapon!! Can I give you a tip? I would run a texta around the edge of the tungsten......so when the edge that faced the vessel gets worn you can loosen and turn the tungsten to give you a new working edge. Just a thought

Paul39
5th July 2017, 11:04 AM
As promised, here are some photos of the business end of the cutter
Cheers
Willy

Very nice!! Thanks for the photos.