PDA

View Full Version : FOR SALE:VIC 8000yr Old Redgum

MalleeAnt
10th July 2017, 08:16 AM
Hi all, any wood crazy people here? I have 8000yr old red gum for sale. The wood was a controlled extraction by Jim Bowler, an Honorary Professor at the University of Melbourne, along the Murray. Jim Bowler discovered “Mungo Man”

He was the only one with the excavation rights and has not sold anything in bulk. All work was carried out by other craftman.

There is about two tonnes+ of it in the world and an offer like this may never be seen again.

The Authenticity certificate is from the Museum of Victoria and can be viewed but a copy will not available to keep.

Here are some of the photos https://goo.gl/photos/C3jjBNxWqa6Mv4am8

For now I have three piece for sale:-
3100x305x50mm is $300
1130x500x80mm $380
530x195x80mm $200

These are rough measurements as the wood tapers off and are of the widest parts.

P.S I will have pictures and price of the 1 tonne roots, trunks and off cuts hopefully soon.

Thanks
Antony

The story behind the Redgum is a fascinating one. This beautiful, black, shiny timber has been carbon dated at more than 5000 years old, pre-dating the ancient civilisations of Greece and Rome and the building of the pyramids.

Giant Redgums which grew along the banks of the Murray River, toppled into the gravelly stream as it changed course and undermined the banks. The trees, over the centuries, absorbed the minerals and chemicals of the mud and gravel, turning from red to black and hardening in the process, delivering a sheen like polished stone to the finished products of this marvellous material.

All the timber has been carbon dated to 8000yr old.

European Australia has a short history. This ancient timber is a tangible connection with a rich, natural, pre-European history and a high percentage of profit goes to further research of the Murray River area.

This is a repost as somehow I lost the other one trying to insert pics?

Necromancer
10th July 2017, 09:33 AM
Pictures will be invaluable.

MalleeAnt
10th July 2017, 09:45 AM
I am just about to stock take what is there but for now only have the pics in the link. But Ive been told big 1 tonne roots, trunks, planks, off cuts and other stuff. I think it is going to be about 4 tonne but have to wait.

Pictures will be invaluable.

rtyuiop
10th July 2017, 10:44 AM
I'm keen for some planks and offcuts, but the chunks you have priced there are probably beyond my budget this month!

Bob Wemm
10th July 2017, 02:06 PM
Hi MalleeAnt
I will take the 530 x 95x 80.
PM sent.
Bob

aarggh
10th July 2017, 04:23 PM
Hi Antony,

As discussed I'll definitely take the 3100 x 305 x 50 thanks, I'll call tonight to try and arrange.

cheers, Ian

MalleeAnt
10th July 2017, 04:46 PM
Hi Antony,

As discussed I'll definitely take the 3100 x 305 x 50 thanks, I'll call tonight to try and arrange.

cheers, Ian

Hi Ian, yes I have it on hold for you.
Thanks

MalleeAnt
10th July 2017, 04:48 PM
Hi MalleeAnt
PM sent.
Bob

Hi Bob I missunderstood your email. I didn't realise you wanted to buy anything just a rough price on average postage. Please PM me your number and I will ring you.

Antony

Bob Wemm
10th July 2017, 07:42 PM
Hi MalleeAnt
PM sent.
Bob

I withdraw my offer
Bob

Old gunnie
11th July 2017, 01:15 AM
HI MalleeAnt,

I'm interested in the two smaller pieces as small table tops with the off-cuts as box bits or plaques, but I wonder how much I'd lose cutting these up?

Can you give any indication what sizes these might reduce too?
Cheers
OG.

Mobyturns
11th July 2017, 06:49 AM
I withdraw my offer
Bob

MalleeAnt
11th July 2017, 06:22 PM

PM sent.

The postage was $39 ($3.30 bubble wrap, $2.15 bag and $33.55 postage) and it weighed 4.59

MalleeAnt
11th July 2017, 06:25 PM
HI MalleeAnt,

I'm interested in the two smaller pieces as small table tops with the off-cuts as box bits or plaques, but I wonder how much I'd lose cutting these up?

Can you give any indication what sizes these might reduce too?
Cheers
OG.

I wouldn't know how much wastage you will get out of it. If you can be more detailed on the peices you want I can measure them for you. In the pics the pavers are 500x500

MalleeAnt
12th July 2017, 11:24 AM
I am going to the warehouse this Sunday 16th and should have a full list and photos. Keep and eye on the pictures as it will be update regularly https://goo.gl/photos/C3jjBNxWqa6Mv4am8

Sawdust Maker
12th July 2017, 04:35 PM
MalleeAnt

Howdy

I'm interested in one of these pieces
can you give me the measurements for each and the price please and maybe better, more detailed pics

and the approx postage to 2068

Thanks

MalleeAnt
12th July 2017, 10:08 PM
MalleeAnt

Howdy

can you give me the measurements for each and the price please and maybe better, more detailed pics

Thanks

Thanks Nick will do it in the morning and post it up on my photo board and post lengths here.

MalleeAnt
13th July 2017, 08:33 AM
Could people please email me on [email protected] as I can only have 5 emails here and I am deleting people's email with no choice. This stops me keeping track on what is going on and who asked for what and when.

Thanks
Antony

MalleeAnt
13th July 2017, 08:56 AM
MalleeAnt

Howdy

Thanks

Pics uploaded with lengths
1) - 1080x155x20
2) - 825x145x23
3) - 660x150x65

These measurements are taken from the widest parts (and rough) and wood can be bowed, curved, tapered etc.

With weight, it costed $39 to post to Qld for 4.59kg, tracked, bubbled wrapped, bag and postage

MalleeAnt
13th July 2017, 10:24 PM
All good Geoff, just came into my account then. Will get in tomorrow's post and pm tracking number. Thank you

MalleeAnt
14th July 2017, 07:50 PM
Just updated Friday 14th with 50 new pics https://goo.gl/photos/C3jjBNxWqa6Mv4am8

Scott
15th July 2017, 03:43 PM
Hi all,

I've viewed most of these pieces and can confirm it's authenticity. I live just around the corner to Antony (MalleAnt). I have also viewed the carbon dating details. This is absolutely sensational timber and has a very deep, rich red colour bordering on brown. Perfect for that special project only.

aarggh
15th July 2017, 04:30 PM
I've just picked mine up, (thanks Antony!) and it looks great, should make for some great projects!

cheers, Ian

MalleeAnt
16th July 2017, 10:27 PM
What would be the best size blocks to cut some of this wood up in for pen blanks.

Not each Pen but a larger block for someone else to cut it up into multiple pens

doug3030
16th July 2017, 10:31 PM
What would be the best size blocks to cut some of this wood up in for pen blanks.

Not each Pen but a larger block for someone else to cut it up into multiple pens

:oo: :o :oo: :o :no: :doh:

Scott
16th July 2017, 10:32 PM

I need to talk to you about this young man! Sacrilege!

Simplicity
17th July 2017, 09:56 AM

I'm almost tempted to buy the lot so they don't become pen blanks [emoji52][emoji52][emoji52]

Cheers Matt

aarggh
17th July 2017, 10:02 AM
With the large piece I bought off Antony I already have a few projects in mind, and also have a few smaller split sections that I will turn into pen blanks, but to turn larger pieces just into pen blanks I agree is definitely wrong for timber as rare as this.

Other than the occasional bog oak from Ireland, UK, etc, on Ebay, I've never seen or heard of any timbers as rare or old as this redgum, let alone any Australian timbers that even come close to bog oak at around 3-5000 years old?

I'm pretty excited at the thought of using this for the coming projects.

cheers, Ian

Mobyturns
17th July 2017, 11:31 AM
With the large piece I bought off Antony I already have a few projects in mind, and also have a few smaller split sections that I will turn into pen blanks, but to turn larger pieces just into pen blanks I agree is definitely wrong for timber as rare as this.

Other than the occasional bog oak from Ireland, UK, etc, on Ebay, I've never seen or heard of any timbers as rare or old as this redgum, let alone any Australian timbers that even come close to bog oak at around 3-5000 years old?

I'm pretty excited at the thought of using this for the coming projects.

cheers, Ian

Nothing wrong with the occasional pen blank, but the red gum should at least be used on "high value writing instruments." There is of course the NZ Ancient Kauri which has been reliably dated at up to 40k yo. Hopefully the red gum is less challenging to turn than some of the NZ Ancient Kauri:D

springwater
17th July 2017, 06:52 PM
I have 8000yr old red gum for sale. The wood was a controlled extraction by Jim Bowler, an Honorary Professor at the University of Melbourne, along the Murray. Jim Bowler discovered “Mungo Man"

If you don't mind MalleeAnt, could you explain what a "controlled extraction" was please?

MalleeAnt
17th July 2017, 07:03 PM
I have basically sold everything in the pictures. This why I took down the photo link. I have more arriving on Thursday and will post the pics etc up on a basic website to make it easier to point and click each piece.

I will bring in a system for those that buy regularly with a discount sort of setup. I need to get this approved but think it will be ok.

Thanks
Antony

If anyone has a size in mine please email [email protected].

Please do not email me here as it is too hard to follow and keep a track of and I not really checking them.

MalleeAnt
17th July 2017, 07:09 PM
I have 8000yr old red gum for sale. The wood was a controlled extraction by Jim Bowler, an Honorary Professor at the University of Melbourne, along the Murray. Jim Bowler discovered “Mungo Man"

If you don't mind MalleeAnt, could you explain what a "controlled extraction" was please?

Where a lot of people sit around and watch etc. lol Like digging up an ancient site, they looked through everything like archeologists/geologists I'm guessing?

MalleeAnt
18th July 2017, 06:22 PM
New wood pics - https://photos.app.goo.gl/fl1DdNOr51aloeUw1

I'm still trying to get a website up and running but here is some more smaller wood.

Please email [email protected] if interested

Thanks
Antony

wedgtail
19th July 2017, 11:28 AM
Email sent regarding small pieces

MalleeAnt
20th July 2017, 03:24 PM
New medium piece up 1200x460x38mm

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FGxzRDiMa5QIj2eT2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fl1DdNOr51aloeUw1

MalleeAnt
21st July 2017, 04:55 PM
Medium to medium/large pieces arrived. The bigger pieces will be here soon.

The paving in the pics are 500x500.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fl1DdNOr51aloeUw1

doug3030
20th August 2017, 10:44 PM
The bigger pieces will be here soon.

Anything further on this? Did the big bits arrive?

aarggh
26th August 2017, 06:57 PM
I haven't myself as I've been caught up with other stuff, but has anyone made anything using any of this redgum yet?

I'd love to see pics of what people are making!

cheers, Ian

doug3030
27th August 2017, 12:46 AM
I haven't myself as I've been caught up with other stuff, but has anyone made anything using any of this redgum yet?

Well if it has been sitting around for 8000 years so far I suppose there is no point in rushing things now is there?

I note that Malleeant who is selling it has not been on the forum since 25 July, and posted last on 21 July. He had been sending me photos via MMS up until 25 July as well but since then, nothing.

Did anyone actually get any of this?

Cheers

Doug

aarggh
27th August 2017, 11:18 AM
I got the really big piece in the pics above, and I thought from the comments posted he'd sold almost all except the really small bits?

I can make an educated guess as I used to work in a timber mill, but I still don't completely understand the whole provenance thing with them, and how they came to be sold though.

cheers, Ian

Scott
31st August 2017, 08:34 PM
Well if it has been sitting around for 8000 years so far I suppose there is no point in rushing things now is there?

I note that Malleeant who is selling it has not been on the forum since 25 July, and posted last on 21 July. He had been sending me photos via MMS up until 25 July as well but since then, nothing.

Did anyone actually get any of this?

Cheers

Doug

Yes, he actually only lives around 500 metres from my place.

Kilndry
4th December 2020, 07:22 PM
Gday mate I’ve just joined I harvest all species of timber including ancient redgum if your still looking maybe I can help Cheers