PDA

View Full Version : 750mm dia round window.

artful bodger
12th July 2017, 08:58 PM
Haven't done one of these for a while, so for interests sake thought I'd post it up.
The job is for a 750mm dia round window for a local window making firm.
O.D is obviously 750mm, depth of window is 140mm and the thickness is 40mm with a 50mm x 15mm rebate to take a double glazed glass.
The window making firm supplied the timber (western red cedar). 12 bits 400mm x 150mm x35mm. Probably from the scrapheap.
First step is to make the template from a bit of craftwood/MDF. Have allowed 4mm oversize on the I.D and O.D as a turning/constructing allowance.
416192Using the template 2 segments per bit of timber are marked out and cut on the bandsaw as accurately as possible giving 24 segments.
The segments are then built up in a "round type of brickwork" manner. Each segment is glued (Kleiberit 303 glue) and screwed to the one underneath using pinchdogs to temporarily clamp one segment to the next as one goes.
Here is a pic of the glued up window, pinchdogs still in situ.
416193416194Screw holes and pinchdog indents will be on the internal/inside face of the building and are dealt with later.
Next step is to invert the window and screw it securely to the face plate. Using 6 x 100mm Tech screws for this which might seem like overkill however the wooden faceplate is 60mm thick. 2 x 20mm layers of plywood and a 20mm face of HUON PINE!. The faceplate came with the lathe some 30 years ago and is a bit of a relic of the extravagant past.However it is nice to true up before each use.
So once that is done then it's just a matter of turning it, which is basically skimming off the 4mm from the outside and inside diameters and skimming the height to 140mm.
This job will just fit on the inside of my lathe.
416196Height is trued off to the 140mm first.
Toolrest won't reach the outside dia so have used a pedestal one to turn the outside dia.
Turning segments is pretty cool as you basically have no end grain to deal with and you can get a remarkably good off the tool finish that hardly needs any sanding.
So that is the height and OD done, now the ID and rebate. These are always a bit nerve wracking, dig ins not welcome.
416199The 50mm x 15mm rebate is first turned square, then from 25mm outwards a slight taper 2-3 degrees is turned to allow for water run off.
And that's about it.
Window is then taken off the faceplate and the screwholes are plugged (pared off with a sharp chisel once dry) and the little indents from the pinchdogs are filled (sanded off when dry).
Job done.
A basic segmented round window.

Cal
13th July 2017, 07:20 AM
Amazing stuff. A fair amount of planing I suspect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

powderpost
13th July 2017, 11:17 AM
Excellent job and very well done too. :2tsup:

Jim

rwbuild
13th July 2017, 12:19 PM
Good to see these skills still exist and an excellent job to boot :2tsup:

graham.murfett
13th July 2017, 02:23 PM
Cracker of a job!
Don't you just love looking out a round window!?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

artme
13th July 2017, 05:26 PM
You're the man Artful one!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

artful bodger
14th July 2017, 11:45 AM
You're the man Artful one!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Not really sure about that artme. (thanks for the compliment though)
On my way to deliver the window and get paid for it yesterday, (the window took about 10 hours to make), I had to go to a dentists appointment.
Was at the dentist for one hour and it cost pretty well what I earned for the 10 hours on the window!.
Thinking the dentist is the man.

KBs PensNmore
14th July 2017, 03:10 PM
My partner just went to the Dentist, and cost her a weeks pension!! A few weeks back we had to take one of our pet pooches to an Optimologist Vet for an eye operation, she had an abscess on the eye. Dropped her off at 10.00 am and picked her up at 3.00 pm, $1700.00 later we're on our way home. That price did include 2 follow up visits a 5 minute job to take out a stitch and another 5 minute one to look at the result. Wish I could charge like that!!!!
Kryn