PDA

View Full Version : What glue is it?

Waldo
19th September 2005, 06:45 PM
G'day,

I can't for the life of me think what glue it is, so I need some help. It's a yellow glue that doesn't really dry fully but retains it's tackiness - best i can liken it to is cow gum for those who know the old days of paste up finished art.

bitingmidge
19th September 2005, 06:52 PM
Like the stuff used for sticking sanding disks onto pads?

Arrrhhrrrr,

P
:D

Waldo
19th September 2005, 06:55 PM
G'day Me Hearty,

(forgot it's pirates day)

Arggh ye dog, that'd be the slimy yellow critter.

Waldo
19th September 2005, 07:06 PM
G'day,

C'mon man out with the answer, before I poke yer full of holes and run yer down off the gang pank where ye'll spend the rest of yer flea bitten days in Davies Jones locker.

bitingmidge
19th September 2005, 07:16 PM
Alas I jettisoned by last tub in a fit of rage not two months ago.

I did a search however and found this treasure map:
http://www.timbecon.com.au/products/adhesives-371_0.aspx

Arrrhh,

P :D

Waldo
19th September 2005, 07:20 PM
G'day my lad,

A job well done, still short of a name of sorts, but it'll fit the bill when I explain it to the lads at the shoppe.

When yer next call into port, it's me shout on account of yer help.

kiwigeo
19th September 2005, 07:40 PM
G'day,

I can't for the life of me think what glue it is, so I need some help. It's a yellow glue that doesn't really dry fully but retains it's tackiness - best i can liken it to is cow gum for those who know the old days of paste up finished art.

Arrrrrr it be the glue ye stick on your feet in case ye get made to walk the plank!! Arrrrrrrrrrrr :D

jacko
19th September 2005, 09:48 PM
Could be hide glue. It's available from titebond in a botle, so no stinking double boilers. Great for glue-ups you want to get appart later, just put in a steamer for 30 mins or so and presto! Also used for musical instrument making, but can't think why for the life of me!
Jacko

Dust Mite
19th September 2005, 10:02 PM
Sounds like ADOS f2 or f3 contact adhesive.
when cured this glue will look and feel like very stiky yellow gum. When totally dry its almost impossible to remove. Very good general purpose glue.

It could also be a bostik product as well, as the bostik 1431 contact adhesive has exactly the same characteristics but is an industrial grade glue

ados (http://http://www.crc.co.nz/item_prod.asp?pid=336#)

bitingmidge
19th September 2005, 10:19 PM
Could be hide glue. It's available from titebond in a botle, so no stinking double boilers. Great for glue-ups you want to get appart later, just put in a steamer for 30 mins or so and presto! Also used for musical instrument making, but can't think why for the life of me!
Jacko

No, it's not hide glue jacko, but hide gule is used in musical instrument making to enable instruments to be dismantled for repair.

Cheers,

P
:D

Waldo
19th September 2005, 10:34 PM
G'day me hearties!,

Anymore ideas or a yer bled dry?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th September 2005, 11:31 PM
'Twould help if you gave us some clue as to where ya've seen it used...

Methinks Dust Mite may've got it right with the Bostik 1431 CA. Often used on laminates (counter-tops) and the like; I've also seen it used in flooring for both rubber and floating floors(!!!:eek:!!!) Probably the most common glue I come across which meets your desc but I've only seen it come in BIG cans!

Harry72
19th September 2005, 11:33 PM
That just sounds like contact adheasive, like I use on me wooden leg when its busted from kickin' t' deck hands!

Waldo
19th September 2005, 11:39 PM
G'day Skew ChiDAMN! and Harry72,

Bittingmidge got it right it was last used on to glue the sheet of sandpaper down to my faceplate sander, now that I've had to put on a new one I was lookking for the yellow stuff. Dust Mite is close but it's not impossible to remove, takes some work but it is removeable.

Didn't have any and couldn't remember it's name so I tried using some fixitnails, wiped it down smooth or so I thought, checked it's progess tonight and found some ridges - so my work is thrown out the door. Now I have to track down the yellow glue, but by all accounts it sounds like Bostik 1431 CA, but I wanted to make sure before I go out and buy some stuff, didn't want to spend the cash on the wrong stuff. Just have to find a stockist for it, I doubt Bunnies would carry it - they're more DIY stuff without the spec stuff.

My memory doesn't serve me too well at times, my grey hairs are multiplying.

Waldo
19th September 2005, 11:50 PM
G'day Skew ChiDAMN!,

You're in the game, where would I find some Bostik 1431 locally?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th September 2005, 03:10 AM
You're in the game, where would I find some Bostik 1431 locally?

Actually, I drop in on a mate with an empty litre jar to pinch his. :D He buys it in 20L drums which is a bit too much for me. I won't be seeing him again 'til next week but I'll keep you in mind.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure it's available in smallish containers for domestic use and may be available thru Bunnings or Mitre10. The other 14xx CA's are only available in commercial quantities but 1431 would do ya.

PS: Did a search and came up with this, it might help ya:

http://www.bostikfindley.com.au/pdf/datasheet/bostik_1431_adhesive.pdf

Waldo
20th September 2005, 10:13 AM
G'day Skew ChiDAMN!,

Did a search and came up with the same PDF info, it's the right guy allright.

Thanks.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th September 2005, 10:54 PM
G'day Waldo,

I'll see about grabbing some next week on the flip from the Isle. I should be back Wednesday night [fingers Xed] so I'll PM you then.

Made a start on the laundry cupboards yet? :D

Waldo
20th September 2005, 11:03 PM
G'day Skew ChiDAMN!,

Shhhh, not so loud my wife will be asking next.

Hey thanks on the glue, I can hold off for a bit - have to sand some stuff down but I can do other things while I wait - was going to find a 1L tin. Still waiting on the Pontiac for you.

outback
21st September 2005, 10:23 AM
Howabout the glue they use to glue emeries on shearing grinders?

It doesn't go stiff like most glues, and actaully peels off really easy when the time comes to replace the paper.

Waldo
21st September 2005, 10:26 AM
G'day Outback,

So what glue is that?

outback
21st September 2005, 10:43 AM
The two bests ones are
Sunbeam shearers adhesive
and
Heineger dunno but like shearers advesive.

You'll need to find a rural supplies outlet, which may be tricky for you if you live in the middle of Melbourne.
Costs about $15.00, lemme know if ya wanna some I can get it easy peasy and send it to ya.

Paul B
21st September 2005, 11:04 AM
As well as for repairability, hide glue is used in instruments because it has low creep. PVA and other types of glue will move a little over time (creep) if subjected to continuous force like string tension. Hide glue doesn't move til you heat it or steam it.

Waldo
1st October 2005, 09:33 AM
G'day,

Well I've looked around, although I haven't driven too far or wide on account of the price of petrol.

I can't find Bostik 1431 but what I have found is some stuff called Parifix Fast Grip, Sellys also have a similar product. It sounds like it works in the same manner as 1431, does anyone know if it does work the same way, ie. tacky, semi permanent and doesn't fully dry?

Need to get my face plate sander back intio action.

Thanks.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd October 2005, 02:29 AM
Sorry 'bout the delay mate, but the bloke ran out. I'll bring home my jar this week, I think it should still be usable.

Provided I remember... :rolleyes:

Waldo
2nd October 2005, 11:05 AM
G'day Skew ChiDAMN!,

See my post in reply to yours about my shed.

Alex dS
5th October 2005, 01:12 PM
G'day Waldo. I have been doing a bit of research on glues lately for my own knowledge and have come across some things that might help you. The parfix fast grip or the equivalent Selleys contact adhesives do not remain permanently tacky, they do set hard. I came across a glue by Franklin (titebond) that sounds like the one you are after. The description on the website is copied in below:

"Sand Disc Cement - TITSD-0237
Franklin Sanding Disc Cement is a pressure-sensitive formulation created specifically for bonding sanding discs to either rubber or metal plates. It creates a very strong bond after brief drying, yet remains permanently "sticky," allowing the disc to be peeled off easily when worn out"

The web address is http://www.timbecon.com.au/products/adhesives-371_0.aspx

Hope this helps in some way.

Alex.

Waldo
5th October 2005, 01:17 PM
G'day Alex Ds,

Thanks for the info, especially on the Parfix, I had bought thinking it was similar but kept the reciept in case - which I will now take back.

Thanks too on the link for "Sand Disc Cement - TITSD-0237.

outback
5th October 2005, 08:20 PM
The stuff I was talking about dries and ends up like latex, all rubbery soughta. SHuck loads cheaper than the timbecon gear too.

Waldo
5th October 2005, 09:16 PM
G'day Outback,

Yeah I remember the stuff you posted, I was more of acknowledging Alex Ds' post. :)