PDA

View Full Version : More on Glue

harcx
20th September 2005, 10:27 AM
Can anyone advise on a suitable glue for filling a sloppy joint. I've made up a frame with mortice and loose tenon loints and while most are nice and tight a couple of the mortices did not route out as well as they should have (another storey) and the loose tenons are just that ...loose.
I dont think the PVA type glues will fill successfully and am thinking of using araldite but am not sure. Is there another glue that would be more successful? Some time ago I heard of a WEST adhesive which could be mixed with fine rovings as a filler but I've never used it.
The timber is F27 brush box and the application is external
Cheers
HarcX

Termite
20th September 2005, 10:40 AM
I would suggest Titebond 3 polyurethane. It does have some gap filling properties and is waterproof.

MurrayD99
20th September 2005, 11:01 AM
Have you considered Gorilla glue? It will foam/expand into gaps. Don't get it on your hands/clothes/tools though......

Richardwoodhead
20th September 2005, 11:25 AM
Harcx, what you need is a gap filling glue. PVA's and Yellow glues are not gap filling. The best gap filling glues (IMHO) are 2 pac epoxy resins. West System epoxy is an excellent epoxy resin, but there are others to choose from. West System is fairly "runny" and needs to be thickened for some applications, such as gap filling. For that purpose they supply a microfibre thickening "dust". But you can also just use your own fine (180 grit) sanding dust. Add enough until you get a more viscous epoxy. This also colours the glue to match the wood you're gluing, which is a great way of "hiding" less than perfect joins.

(I use the west System "runny" when doing butt or edge joins / panels, and thicken it for mortice & tenon joins).

There are other expoxy resins that are fairly viscous to start with (Techniglue is one). But whichever you choose, an epoxy will give you a great tight join even though your M&T is less than tight.

Richard

http://www.westsystem.com

harcx
21st September 2005, 09:50 AM
ThanX all
I'll try to source some for the project recommencement on the weekend
HarcX

harcx
21st September 2005, 09:55 AM
Murray
I'm a tad reluctant on this one. Considering the deep pool that "sense of humour" dug for the author.
What the heck
I've not heard of Gorilla glue but will do a search to see what I can find
One question springs to mind
If the glue expands it must have some foaming action I suspect (a bit like me when the joints didn't work as well as hoped)
If this is the case then are there entrained air holes left when the glue sets
ThanX for the response
HarcX

Just George
21st September 2005, 09:58 AM
Call Richard Vaughan, he writes for Australian Wood Review and receently wrote an article on glues. His number is 0733768520

Woody

MurrayD99
21st September 2005, 11:13 AM
http://www.woodworking.com/ww101glue.cfm has some comments that might be useful. The website is www.gorillaglue.com. I started using it on mortise & tenon joints in outdoor furniture I was repairing and apart from the cleanup I think it is A-OK. I read somewhere it was developed in Hamilton NZ... certainly is widely available all over.