PDA

View Full Version : Calipers

hughie
19th August 2017, 10:04 AM
I have access to a plasma arc set up at work and its sooooo handy at times :U

I needed a new set of bowl calipers and thought why not as we have a fair bit of scrap stainless from time to time. Plus we are moving premises and much of what we have will be biffed out. Simmsy is gonna love us. :D

its about 300 long stainless, grade? who knows most likely 316

NeilS
19th August 2017, 10:26 AM

I needed a new set of bowl calipers and thought why not as we have a fair bit of scrap stainless from time to time. Plus we are moving premises and much of what we have will be biffed out. Simmsy is gonna love us. :D

its about 300 long stainless, grade? who knows most likely 316Envious!

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk

Paul39
20th August 2017, 04:43 AM
Wonderful!!!

You might have a look at a catalog or on line to see what sort of exotic calipers are being sold and make up a couple more that you might like to try.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1440&bih=780&q=wood+turning+calipers&oq=wood+turning+calipers&gs_l=img.12..0i10i24k1.1934.7703.0.10886.22.20.0.0.0.0.523.3589.0j16j1j0j1j1.19.0....0...1.1.64.img..3.19.3560.0..0j0i10k1j0i10i30k1j0i30k1j0i8i30k1.Alg5irmxl_c

I bought a set of used Sorby bowl calipers some years ago and find them most useful. The current price of them gives me the vapors.

Christos
20th August 2017, 08:15 AM
I love it when someone makes something from scrape. :2tsup:

hughie
20th August 2017, 08:59 AM
Wonderful!!!

You might have a look at a catalog or on line to see what sort of exotic calipers are being sold and make up a couple more that you might like to try.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1440&bih=780&q=wood+turning+calipers&oq=wood+turning+calipers&gs_l=img.12..0i10i24k1.1934.7703.0.10886.22.20.0.0.0.0.523.3589.0j16j1j0j1j1.19.0....0...1.1.64.img..3.19.3560.0..0j0i10k1j0i10i30k1j0i30k1j0i8i30k1.Alg5irmxl_c

I bought a set of used Sorby bowl calipers some years ago and find them most useful. The current price of them gives me the vapors.

Paul, Calipers, they are a little addictive for me :U and I have a fair variety of them most DIY out of various materials generally from off cast scraps I have
But I agree they can be very expensive. Along with dividers/compasses etc that I have built for laying various patterns that I am want to do at times. :U
I am looking at redoing my Golden Mean Calipers again, something more elaborate. Although these days I must confess I dont use them much, just go by eye.

hughie
20th August 2017, 09:03 AM
I love it when someone makes something from scrape. :2tsup:

Where I work we hoard rubbish then have an audit and throw it out and I am the guy in the middle :U Plus I have a penchant for lateral thinking, life's good at times.

NeilS
20th August 2017, 10:58 AM
Golden Mean Calipers... Although these days I must confess I don't use them much, just go by eye.

Good for the novice and those that are aesthetically challenged, but the eye informed by an internalised aesthetic based on accumulated visual awareness can create forms that successfully go beyond the standard axioms.

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th August 2017, 03:40 PM

its about 300 long stainless, grade? who knows most likely 316

So.... are you taking orders yet? :D

hughie
20th August 2017, 04:43 PM
Paul, Calipers, they are a little addictive for me :U and I have a fair variety of them most DIY out of various materials generally from off cast scraps I have
But I agree they can be very expensive. Along with dividers/compasses etc that I have built for laying various patterns that I am want to do at times. :U
I am looking at redoing my Golden Mean Calipers again, something more elaborate. Although these days I must confess I dont use them much, just go by eye.

Here you go

Paul39
27th August 2017, 03:17 AM
Here you go

Nice selection. I especially like the rectangular framed one in the middle. Thanks for the photo.

NeilS
27th August 2017, 08:03 PM
Here you go

Yes, nice collection, Hughie.

Here is a variation that might be of use to someone. An set of inside-outside calipers (http://www.planetplusltd.com/uploads/images_products_large/34.jpg) with one leg reversed. I slide the straighter leg through the chuck jaws behind the foot of the piece and the curved leg goes inside the bowl to measure the depth of the base. Important for me as I only reverse a bowl once. Outside 1st, Inside 2nd, Done.

The black band near the fulcrum is a rubber band that allows me to open and close the calipers one handed.

hughie
28th August 2017, 08:47 AM
Yes, nice collection, Hughie.

Here is a variation that might be of use to someone. An set of inside-outside calipers (http://www.planetplusltd.com/uploads/images_products_large/34.jpg) with one leg reversed. I slide the straighter leg through the chuck jaws behind the foot of the piece and the curved leg goes inside the bowl to measure the depth of the base. Important for me as I only reverse a bowl once. Outside 1st, Inside 2nd, D
thesThe black band near the fulcrum is a rubber band that allows me to open and close the
calipers
one handed.

I think I have one of these just couldnt find it, my shed is a bit hectic at the moment. I have a couple more around in the shed and might like this one its sprung loaded inside the little cylinder and the knurled adjustment screw moves the anvils apart, Its for very thin walled vessels.

Robson Valley
28th August 2017, 02:27 PM
Don't forget to have a look at the front cover of the latest Lee Valley catalog.
Some of the inventory from the Lee Hand Tool Collection.
I'd like to know the trick to get them all to stand up.

Adjustable and proportional. I can scale up/down drawings for wood carvings.
I can measure wall thickness when I carve a dish.

hughie
28th August 2017, 04:21 PM
Don't forget to have a look at the front cover of the latest Lee Valley catalog.
Some of the inventory from the Lee Hand Tool Collection.
I'd like to know the trick to get them all to stand up.

Adjustable and proportional. I can scale up/down drawings for wood carvings.

I can measure wall thickness when I carve a dish.

Theres some nice tools in that catalogue. The front cover seems to have old school stuff, how they stand up dunno either