PDA

View Full Version : Black Walnut

hughie
25th August 2017, 10:43 PM
I recently had the good fortune to obtain a chunk of Black Walnut from the US. This piece is a crotch piece so the grain quite exceptional and certainly better than my photographic ability :U

Its around 240mm finished with Minwax Antique Oil and buffed

powderpost
25th August 2017, 11:03 PM
That's nice Hughie, nice timber and well turned... and... no scratches.. :-) How does this walnut compare to the Ausie stuff? Does it have the same silica content?

Jim

hughie
26th August 2017, 08:03 AM
That's nice Hughie, nice timber and well turned... and... no scratches.. :-) How does this walnut compare to the Ausie stuff? Does it have the same silica content?

Jim

No Silica Jim, very nice to turn wouldnt mind a truck load of it :U

Sawdust Maker
26th August 2017, 09:10 AM
what no carved flutes, barley twists or anything?

looks good - nice shape and speccy wood

dai sensei
26th August 2017, 03:00 PM
Beautiful mate

No Silica Jim, very nice to turn wouldnt mind a truck load of it :U

ah the grass is always greener

smiife
26th August 2017, 06:13 PM
Hi hughie , very nice mate , well done :2tsup:

Xanthorrhoeas
26th August 2017, 07:57 PM
Hi, lovely timber, lovely work. There's nothing really wrong with your photo except that it needs more contrast - this is what it looks like with added contrast:

David

Paul39
27th August 2017, 03:00 AM
Hughie,

I was under the impression that US walnut was banned from AU. Did it have to be heated or treated to kill any fungus or bugs?

Nice piece.

hughie
27th August 2017, 09:37 AM
Hughie,

I was under the impression that US walnut was banned from AU. Did it have to be heated or treated to kill any fungus or bugs?

Nice piece.

Dunno Paul it came as a rough out without any dramas. It just turned up on the front door step as most heavy parcels do. I think here the only dramas are endangered species and no bark or bugs. I have a friend who sends receives specimen from all over the world on a regular basis.