PDA

View Full Version : Slicing up some more blanks

dai sensei
26th August 2017, 10:28 PM
When I built my front carport ~5 years ago I chopped down a relatively young Blackwood. I stacked them in log form outside my workshop on a concrete slab for future use. A few months ago the termites and borers were into the dam things and so got them treated. Last week the termite man came back to ensure the nest was killed and decided I should do something with them before they turned to dust.

This week I got a small job to turn up some chair leg extensions and decided no time like the present. The bark and most of the sapwood had turned to mush with heaps of big fat borers. I swapped out the 10mm blade on my bandsaw for the new 1" TCT blade I bought a while back and got stuck in. It was like cutting butter with the new blade. I cut the extensions I needed plus spare and chucked them in the dehydrator to ensure they were dry and then finished off cutting the 8 logs ~250dia x 0.8-1.0m long. I must have sliced through ~30 borer grubs.

I ended up with a big barrow full of blanks for pepper grinders, bowls, trinket boxes, handles, pens and some small slabs for boxes. I also cut up a smaller log in Jac buried in the stack for some spalted blanks

419113 419112

dusteater
26th August 2017, 10:56 PM
Is that some spalting on the Blackwood as well?

dai sensei
27th August 2017, 02:45 PM
Is that some spalting on the Blackwood as well?

Yep, lots on the sapwood, but some on the heartwood too

dai sensei
27th August 2017, 02:48 PM
The finished chair leg extensions. Client thought chair was Walnut, but was happy with Blackwood that I had, and they turned out a pretty good match anyway. Client will cut off existing leg bottom to bead and drill 19mm hole. The dowel end was turned with Bedan till 19mm spanner fitted over. 12 required but did 14 as 2 had spalting.

419152 419151 419150

smiife
27th August 2017, 07:56 PM
Hi neil,
Looks like you have been busy mate , good job
on the chair extensions , well done :cool:

dai sensei
27th August 2017, 08:07 PM
Looks like you have been busy mate ....

Yes mate. Getting quite a few of these little jobs lately, and they then lead to other little jobs. The client picked up the chair extensions tonight and brought his wife, big mistake for him, I now have an order for a cast pepper grinder :2tsup:. He is a furniture restorer and often needs a woodturner so he says I can anticipate more in the future too :cool: