PDA

View Full Version : To burn or not to burn

Dalboy
29th August 2017, 07:04 AM
I thought that as I had finished the Half Track (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f174/slow-build-half-track-209022) that I wanted to just do a simple piece of turning.
Looking for your thoughts on this in regards to the question below.
I keep looking at this bowl which is not yet finished foot still needs to be taken off and more cleaning of the edge. Would this be better to have the natural edge burnt using a pyrography machine, the wife say no but can't make up my mind.

I've included a shot of the bottom just for interest.

plt43
29th August 2017, 07:37 AM
... the wife say no....

It depends how courageous you are I guess.

Lovely piece of work there.

Old-Biker-UK
29th August 2017, 07:38 AM
Love it......
How are you going to hold it to turn the bottom?

Mark

Drillit
29th August 2017, 09:17 AM
Hello Dalboy,
For what it is worth, I would not burn this. I think the unique shape and colour dictates that it
remain in its natural form. But beautiful it is. Drillit.
PS. My wife agrees with your wife - leave it alone - stop fiddling. Ever heard that. Ha Ha.

Dalboy
29th August 2017, 09:20 AM
Thank you guys.

Why do you think I turn pieces like this "Because it is easier than arguing with the wife":hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:

Love it......
How are you going to hold it to turn the bottom?

Mark

I will use a jam chuck and then finally finish by hand

dai sensei
29th August 2017, 11:05 AM
I think a burnt edge would be better, but I'd be petrified of stuffing it up :D

Not sure how much jam you are going to get on that for a jam chuck. Perhaps a press rather, than a jam, using the tailstock for support??

Robson Valley
29th August 2017, 11:21 AM
Wonderful etherial object. Putting on my wood carver's apron, I say don't burn the endge.
If you did, I would find it altogether too easy to discriminate between the wall and the edge.
As it is now, I've got to pay attention to see it. It works the viewer's mind a little.

turnerted
29th August 2017, 05:13 PM
A great piece . I would leave it as is, just remove the tennon . I don't see how you could hold this with a jam chuck , maybe with a vacuum chuck , but even that would be dicey . I would probably just sand the tennon off by holding it up against a sanding pad held in a jacobs chuck in the headstock .
Ted

Fumbler
29th August 2017, 07:01 PM
Don't burn the edge, leave it as it is. I bet it's a break from all those small fiddle bits of the half track.

wm460
29th August 2017, 07:29 PM
Dont burn it just send it to me with your Half Track.:2tsup::p:D

Dalboy
29th August 2017, 09:22 PM
Thank you all for the comments it seems that across many forum I asked this question the majority say leave as is. For some reason I just could not make up my mind in this case.

I think a burnt edge would be better, but I'd be petrified of stuffing it up :D

Not sure how much jam you are going to get on that for a jam chuck. Perhaps a press rather, than a jam, using the tailstock for support??

Yes a press rather than a jam, I tend to coll both methods a jam chuck as you are still jamming the piece between the head stock and tail stock, I have already put a little dimple in the tenon when I was turning the outside to aid lining up for the reverse turning.

Dont burn it just send it to me with your Half Track.:2tsup::p:D

Sorry Mark the half track is for me unless someone offers me a silly price for it and the bowl will end up on my stall

brainstrust
29th August 2017, 09:40 PM
Listen to your wife!!!! It's busy and unique enough already, don't ruin it!

woodPixel
29th August 2017, 10:42 PM
That is a really amazing piece. Really amazing.

So much to look at. Very interesting. That will start a lot of conversations for a long time.

I'd leave it unburnt and sand the foot off on a disk or linisher.

Dalboy
29th August 2017, 11:22 PM
Thank you. Just popped in from the shed after turning the foot off now to check it over and clean up any bits that need it before finishing with oil

brainstrust
31st August 2017, 08:21 PM
new piccy needed!!

Dalboy
31st August 2017, 10:20 PM
new piccy needed!!

Have taken picture and posted in a separate thread see HERE (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/chestnut-burr-216545)

Keith_1
3rd September 2017, 10:11 AM
Amazing skills:2tsup:

Regards

Keith