PDA

View Full Version : hollow form ..... oooopppsss

smiife
3rd September 2017, 09:08 PM
Hi guys , a very thin wall hollow form.........
Maybe a bit too thin:o:o

Cal
3rd September 2017, 10:10 PM
That'll buff right out! [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KBs PensNmore
3rd September 2017, 11:34 PM
You could always use it as a lamp shade, no one else needs to know it was a oooopppsss, cept us and we won't tell, will we :D.
If you're wanting to do thin vessels, something I read somewhere, was to put a light inside to illuminate the thickness. When you get an even glow, you'll know that you have an even thickness.
Hope this helps.
Kryn

Fumbler
4th September 2017, 07:09 AM
You now have a beautiful lampshade and jagged edged coin bowl.

BamBam53
4th September 2017, 09:00 PM
If it's any consolation, I saw Phil Irons do the same thing during a demonstration a couple of years back.

Kidbee
4th September 2017, 09:21 PM
Hi guys , a very thin wall hollow form.........
Maybe a bit too thin:o:o

Just a thought. I know the Vermec Deep Hollowing tool does internal hollowing but could it also be used externally? Do you like the Vermec tool and do you find it easy to use?

smiife
5th September 2017, 08:53 PM
Some great ideas there guys:B
The vermec hollower is a good tool , but as you see
It is very easy to go too far:doh:
I have never tried to use it on the outside of a hollow form!
But i can, t see any reason why you couldn, t.........
My only comment on the tool is very difficult to reach the shoulder/undercut
It could do with a more swan neck like end piece , the one
It comes with isn, t bent enough , thats just my opinion , for what thats worth:U
Thanks for your replies.

NeilS
6th September 2017, 10:34 AM
Add a laser light.

Buy or make your own.

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk

NeilS
6th September 2017, 10:44 AM
If it's any consolation, I saw Phil Irons do the same thing during a demonstration a couple of years back.

And I have seen Richard Raffan get a dig-in. None of us are exempt. It just happens less frequently with experience... : -- )

Kidbee
6th September 2017, 03:34 PM
Some great ideas there guys:B
The vermec hollower is a good tool , but as you see
It is very easy to go too far:doh:
I have never tried to use it on the outside of a hollow form!
But i can, t see any reason why you couldn, t.........
My only comment on the tool is very difficult to reach the shoulder/undercut
It could do with a more swan neck like end piece , the one
It comes with isn, t bent enough , thats just my opinion , for what thats worth:U
Thanks for your replies.
Thanks Smiife. My Vermec Ultimate Deep Hollower has been sitting in its box for over 12 months waiting for me to give it ago. Today was the day and it was fun. My piece has a diameter of around 120mm and I was wondering what the turning speed would be. On a Youtube video it was stated as around 1100 rpm. However, for the size of the piece it seemed a bit slow so I revved it up to about 1600rpm and it seemed to improve the cutting. What speed do you use?

smiife
6th September 2017, 08:42 PM
Add a laser light.

Buy or make your own.

Hi neils, I was thinking about that ,where did you buy them ?
but I still have trouble getting In to the shoulder/undercut .?

Thanks Smiife. My Vermec Ultimate Deep Hollower has been sitting in its box for over 12 months waiting for me to give it ago. Today was the day and it was fun. My piece has a diameter of around 120mm and I was wondering what the turning speed would be. On a Youtube video it was stated as around 1100 rpm. However, for the size of the piece it seemed a bit slow so I revved it up to about 1600rpm and it seemed to improve the cutting. What speed do you use?

Hi kidbee , I can, t remember what the speed was , but I don, t think
It was that fast , I may have to rev It up a bit !
Glad to here you had fun , thats the main thing to enjoy It:U
Also on another note , I have seen on you-tube the tool rest/gate
Used both ways ,,,, the gate closest to the work and also the ring
closest , which way do you use yours ?

Kidbee
6th September 2017, 09:56 PM
closest , which way do you use yours ?[/QUOTE]

I used mine with the ring closest to the item being turned. That is the way Vermec have it in their instruction manual. However, when I had a second look at Brenden Stemp's Youturn video he was using it the opposite way with the gate closest to the bowl. I am not an engineer but would have thought that the former way is the best. My unit has sat in its box since April, 2016 and today was the first time I have used it. I am making an iPhone acoustic speaker for my grandson's 13th birthday.
The other matter is, where does the side handle go. I used it on the left side and set it at the same angle as the cutter when the cutter was horizontal if you know what I mean. So when I have the cutter approaching the wood surface the handle is tilted downwards 30 to 45 degrees.

NeilS
7th September 2017, 01:37 PM
Hi neils, I was thinking about that ,where did you buy them ?

I made my own. You can buy a laser pointer with rechargeable battery for under $25 on eBay. Best to buy from Oz seller to ensure power is under 1mW (legal requirement?). Just take care to avoid beam going into eyes as it may cause damage to retina, but more problematic would be temporary flash blindness...

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/can-a-pocket-laser-damage/

To avoid any risk only turn on once secured in place on hollowing rig. I went with green light, but I don't think it makes much difference which colour you go with. A pen size style is less weight out on the end of the arm to hold steady.

but I still have trouble getting In to the shoulder/undercut .?

With small opening the Vermec swans neck will be limited in how far you can undercut. As long as the undercut is more than a finger length who is going to know how thin the section is beyond that point, you can't see that area by peering in.

On larger opening a combination of swan neck and straight bar will get to any visible areas. Practising on more open forms will develop your technique for when you move on to more closed forms where you are working completely blind.

I only do the occasion closed form, but Hughie on this forum does a lot of them and he may have more advice.

smiife
8th September 2017, 08:54 PM
closest , which way do you use yours ?

I used mine with the ring closest to the item being turned. That is the way Vermec have it in their instruction manual. However, when I had a second look at Brenden Stemp's Youturn video he was using it the opposite way with the gate closest to the bowl. I am not an engineer but would have thought that the former way is the best. My unit has sat in its box since April, 2016 and today was the first time I have used it. I am making an iPhone acoustic speaker for my grandson's 13th birthday.
The other matter is, where does the side handle go. I used it on the left side and set it at the same angle as the cutter when the cutter was horizontal if you know what I mean. So when I have the cutter approaching the wood surface the handle is tilted downwards 30 to 45 degrees.[/QUOTE]

Hi kidbee , regards to the handle I use IT the same , on the left , same angle as the cutter , when turning on the opposite side you know where the cutter is !

I made my own. You can buy a laser pointer with rechargeable battery for under $25 on eBay. Best to buy from Oz seller to ensure power is under 1mW (legal requirement?). Just take care to avoid beam going into eyes as it may cause damage to retina, but more problematic would be temporary flash blindness...

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/can-a-pocket-laser-damage/

To avoid any risk only turn on once secured in place on hollowing rig. I went with green light, but I don't think it makes much difference which colour you go with. A pen size style is less weight out on the end of the arm to hold steady.

With small opening the Vermec swans neck will be limited in how far you can undercut. As long as the undercut is more than a finger length who is going to know how thin the section is beyond that point, you can't see that area by peering in.

On larger opening a combination of swan neck and straight bar will get to any visible areas. Practising on more open forms will develop your technique for when you move on to more closed forms where you are working completely blind.

I only do the occasion closed form, but Hughie on this forum does a lot of them and he may have more advice.

Hi neil, thanks for your advice much appreciated , might try a laser ,
And also practice a bit more , this piece was only a prototype made from some wet willow I was just given, only cut a few weeks ago !