PDA

View Full Version : Not a Bad Idea

Kidbee
3rd September 2017, 09:54 PM
Found this on the internet. Appears a reasonable idea.419542

KBs PensNmore
3rd September 2017, 11:41 PM
Thanks for that, great if you've a narrow bed lathe. Mines a Symtec and I find it's more of a storage area to store crap on that doesn't belong there.:doh:
Kryn

Optimark
4th September 2017, 11:38 AM
I thought of something like that but decided on this instead, which has worked wonderfully well for me.

Mick.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th September 2017, 12:47 PM
Mick's (Optimark) idea is better for setting your tools out ready for a turning session.

But I still use something similar for the tools I'm currently using. :) I'll often be switching between the same two or three tools and an 'on the spot' rest works for me.

I don't bother with magnets, though. Instead of using a way spacer in the middle as in your diagram, I move it right to the far end and then screw a slightly wider piece to the bottom to hook under the far way of the bed.

It's a simple case of tilting the tray to insert/remove the hook under the lathe bed.

Works well, only takes moments to fit/remove and doesn't involve any magnetic magic. ;)

Optimark
5th September 2017, 10:10 PM
I thought I would post this picture taken about 1½ hours later.

Mick.

Mobyturns
6th September 2017, 10:57 PM
I've been using a similar accessory for probably 12 years or so, but without the magnets. Mine was designed to stop woodturning tools from rolling off the bed of the lathe. It is a simple 4mm ply base with a cleat that is a jamb fit into the bedways of the lathe.