PDA

View Full Version : Stair balustrades for client

dai sensei
12th September 2017, 08:39 PM
Some stair balustrades for a client based on an old 40mm square one but then sized up for the larger 55mm square Bunnies Pine blanks.

Not as fast as the pros but I didn't think 0.5 hour wasn't too bad, especially with having to move the standard rest 5 times, plus no steady
420123 420124

I did hit 2 blanks with large bark inclusions, one I repaired with shavings and CA glue but the other blew to bits. Lucky there were 2 spare blanks. They are to be painted so he now has 1 spare

smiife
12th September 2017, 09:26 PM
Hi neil , well done mate , looking good :2tsup:

woodPixel
13th September 2017, 12:06 PM
Beads and coves... beads and coves. Its not so easy!

Good job without a steady. I use a wedge, just like my Facebook hero "The Woodturners" (prolific videos)... here it is on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwHwdfCD-Wk

brendan stemp
13th September 2017, 07:33 PM
Good and interesting post and I reckon you have done a great job. Yep, nothin worse than having to move a tool rest all the time.

dai sensei
13th September 2017, 07:58 PM
...I use a wedge... here it is on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwHwdfCD-Wk

Yeh I should make one, on my to do list, but hand support and fine cuts with sharp tools got me buy. Never had the need before, I hate repetitive stuff like this, but more and more seems to be coming in after the word is spreading I am back home again.

woodPixel
13th September 2017, 10:34 PM
Poor Neil :) People like his work and its in demand. Terrible :wink:

artful bodger
14th September 2017, 07:13 PM
Good job DS.
.5 hour is pretty good if you don't turn them very often. Reckon I'd take as long to do em as well (with a long tool rest) and also do not enjoy the repetitive stuff. However you have to take your hat off to the folk who can do them quicker. Charlie from Nowra who used to post here a bit was a dab hand at em, reckon 6 an hour would have been his norm.