PDA

View Full Version : Stuff I've made

Benny_
18th September 2017, 12:25 PM
Hello, Benny here.

I am 12 years old and about 2 months ago I started getting into Woodturning and now it's my one and only passion. I don't get to do much since I don't have a lathe at home. I get to do it once every fortnight at the Peninsula Woodturners Guild. So far I have finished 2 things properly with all of the sanding and there are 2 more that need to be sanded more.

I just wanted to show these 4 things and get some of your opinions on it. Please remember that I've just started and I haven't had the chance to learn how to do anything big yet and am still an amateur.

Thanks!
Benny

BobL
18th September 2017, 12:37 PM
Welcome to the forums Benny.
Your first 4 projects look pretty good for a beginner to me.

Tip - instead of just giving your location as Australia be more specific.
You never know, a kind local member with a lathe might allow you to access their turning gear a bit more often than you are currently doing :)

Benny_
18th September 2017, 12:39 PM
Welcome to the forums Benny.
Your first 4 projects look pretty good for a beginner to me.
Thank you! I did get some help with the pen to make sure I didn't break it. I also got some help with the Egg Cup. So it wasn't all me :q

Enfield Guy
18th September 2017, 12:48 PM
Good work young tacker. I too would like a more specific location. I may offer use of equipment for practice if convenient.

Cheers

Junkie
18th September 2017, 12:55 PM
I get to do it once every fortnight at the Peninsula Woodturners Guild
Is this the Guild's venue: McClelland Gallery Studio Park: 390 McClelland Drive LANGWARRIN Vic 3910?

And great work by the way! Fantastic to read that you are passionate about wood turning. :2tsup:

Benny_
18th September 2017, 12:56 PM
Good work young tacker. I too would like a more specific location. I may offer use of equipment for practice if convenient.

Cheers

Tip - instead of just giving your location as Australia be more specific.
You never know, a kind local member with a lathe might allow you to access their turning gear a bit more often than you are currently doing http://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/smilies/smile.gif
Just changed my location :)

Benny_
18th September 2017, 12:58 PM
Is this the Guild's venue: McClelland Gallery Studio Park: 390 McClelland Drive LANGWARRIN Vic 3910?

Yes, it is!

BobL
18th September 2017, 01:00 PM
. . . . I also got some help with the Egg Cup. So it wasn't all me :q

It rarely is entirely anyones own work. Whether it's some aspect of the design, or elements of how it was done, or a tip we picked up from someone, we're all being helped by someone or other..

tomartomau
18th September 2017, 01:02 PM
Wow Benny,
It is fantastic that you choose such an admirable hobby and secondly a hobby that you show so much promise.
Well done.

Gabriel
18th September 2017, 01:16 PM
Great work mate - you certainly picked a great place to start learning. I don't have time to get there myself, but live right around the corner from it so as soon as I'm able I'll be signing up. I turn quite a few pens etc so if your in need of a few blanks I'm sure I'll have something floating around of interest

Don't be so hard on yourself about needing help - not only do we all start somewhere, but I'd say most of us would only say we were learning as the day you stop learning and being open to new ideas is the day you should possibly find a new hobby....

Keep up the great work and sponge in as much information you can of all the very generous folks of this wonderful community!

Cal
18th September 2017, 09:11 PM
Great work Benny! I'm 45 and still haven't turned a pen! I'm new to turning too, lots to learn and never too young or old to learn. My grandfather and father taught me lots when I was a kid. Listen lots and stay safe, you are doing very well! [emoji106]

KBs PensNmore
18th September 2017, 11:20 PM
That's fantastic work young man, a LOT better than my first efforts. Enjoy the experience of turning, and as others have said, plenty of information on here to learn about.
Keep your first few items that you made, so that later on you can look back and see how far you've progressed.
Kryn

Fumbler
19th September 2017, 04:53 AM
Welcome to the forum. That's better work than I was knocking up when I was 12, I was scrounging round the new estate being built near me for off cuts of facia board and small bits to make a boat to float in the local damn, none of which actually did, they all sank. That was of course in the days before they fenced everything of.

keep up the good work and we'll be seeing bowls and inside out turnings in no time.

plt43
19th September 2017, 07:11 AM
Well done Benny !
This is a great hobby to enjoy, and I'm sure you'll get lots of help and advice at the Guild and from the kind folk on this forum. Remember, you have only to ask.
cheers
Phil

lovetoride
19th September 2017, 09:41 AM
Great work Benny! I think it is so important to have a passion in life and something where you will never stop learning. But be warned - it is so addictive :)

I certainly wished I discovered turning at 12!

Jane

Allan at Wallan
19th September 2017, 10:09 AM
Well done Benny! You certainly go a long way (to the other side of Melbourne) in
learning your new hobby. When you feel like riding your bicycle drop in at our club,
Northern Woodturners Club in Browning St, Kingsbury. Tuesday night or Wednesday
morning would be best and have a look at our setup. You are welcome to meet
up with our group and get some good tips.

Christos
19th September 2017, 02:28 PM
The first few pieces are always going to be learning pieces. You will find that using various turning tools will become easier and you will start to experiment a little when you become more confident. Don't let you concentration laps as sometimes this is when things go wrong.

One more piece of advise regarding the spinning top try rounding the back part a little more. If you are right handed making the point is easy to do as you let the chisel slide off the piece. To round over towards the handle is a little more challenging but it gives you a good feel of the tool as you have to stop before the hitting the handle.

Benny_
19th September 2017, 02:41 PM
Well done Benny! You certainly go a long way (to the other side of Melbourne) in
learning your new hobby. When you feel like riding your bicycle drop in at our club,
Northern Woodturners Club in Browning St, Kingsbury. Tuesday night or Wednesday
morning would be best and have a look at our setup. You are welcome to meet
up with our group and get some good tips.
It's a bit far for my bike but one of my parents might be able to take me when I'm not sick!

Benny_
19th September 2017, 02:42 PM
The first few pieces are always going to be learning pieces. You will find that using various turning tools will become easier and you will start to experiment a little when you become more confident. Don't let you concentration laps as sometimes this is when things go wrong.

One more piece of advise regarding the spinning top try rounding the back part a little more. If you are right handed making the point is easy to do as you let the chisel slide off the piece. To round over towards the handle is a little more challenging but it gives you a good feel of the tool as you have to stop before the hitting the handle.
Thank you for the advice! I am left handed but I will try to do it :)

DaveTTC
1st October 2017, 09:31 PM
Some great project's there Benny.

Believe it or not I've only ever made one spinning top. Does that shape work well. Mine was a bit of flop. May have to copy your design.

Are you happy for me to show your first projects on one of my youtube clips?

DaveTTC
The Turning Cowboy
Turning Wood Into Art

Benny_
1st October 2017, 09:42 PM
Some great project's there Benny.

Believe it or not I've only ever made one spinning top. Does that shape work well. Mine was a bit of flop. May jave to cioy your design.

DaveTTC
The Turning Cowboy
Turning Wood Into Art
Thanks!

The spinning top doesn't actually work sadly. According to the Internet I didn't use the right type of wood for it so it can't balance properly :(

DaveTTC
1st October 2017, 09:46 PM
I added a question and fixed my typo's while you responded. I use my phone and with big hands get lots of typo's.

Are you happy for me to show your projects on my YouTube channel?

Would be great to show kids that other kids are having a go.

DaveTTC
The Turning Cowboy
Turning Wood Into Art

Benny_
1st October 2017, 09:49 PM
I added a question and fixed my typo's while you responded. I use my phone and with big hands get lots of typo's.

Are you happy for me to show your projects on my YouTube channel?

Would be great to show kids that other kids are having a go.

DaveTTC
The Turning Cowboy
Turning Wood Into Art
That would be fine! If you want me to get some better pictures of them I could.

DaveTTC
1st October 2017, 09:50 PM
Cool. I will send your mum my email. You an add me on facebook if you like

DaveTTC
The Turning Cowboy
Turning Wood Into Art

woodPixel
2nd October 2017, 02:28 AM
Benny, great work dude. The first of anything is hard - you are using many new skills all at once. The second is easier, the third you get the "a-ha! moment" and thereafter you really start pumping them out.

You are right about turning being addictive. It's very good fun - it sounds stupid, but it's true. Hours pass in the blink of an eye.

Be careful with pens, they are horribly additive to make and you'll soon have a collection of dozens. People will soon want to buy them off you and Bam!!! Instant pocket money! (It can be quite substantial too).

Keep up the good work.

Kiwi75
2nd October 2017, 06:22 AM
Fantastic work Benny, great to see the younger gens showing such enthusiasm and skill. We all need help from time to time, and as someone else said, for a lot of us(myself included) we take others ideas and make them our own, it's just how it goes.

Benny_
23rd October 2017, 05:52 PM
G’day. Today I went to the Peninsula woodturners guild to do some turning for the whole day, of course with some other kids. I ended up making 3 things. A honey dipper, a scoop for stuff like salt and a small Vase.
I have to thank the lovely blokes there for helping me with these 3 things, I had fun while learning and I hope to be able to do it again.

Ive got some images of them but I couldn’t upload them, most likely because I’m on a mobile device right now as my main computer is in use. I uploaded them to the site “Imgur” instead, the link is below.

P.S: I’ve joined the Northern Woodturners Club which is about 1 hour closer to me than the Peninsula guild, which I’m very happy about :U

https://imgur.com/a/89Wzv

DaveTTC
23rd October 2017, 07:03 PM
Ben,

Your link is not working. Not from my mobile device anyway.

Have you tried downloading an app called tapatalk

DaveTTC
The Turning Cowboy
Turning Wood Into Art

Benny_
23rd October 2017, 07:15 PM
Not yet, no. I'll try to upload them again.

Here is the link, I'll add it to my original post.
https://imgur.com/a/89Wzv

DaveTTC
23rd October 2017, 07:17 PM
Nice work.

The app makes it easy to load pics once you learn how to ise it. There is no need to resize pics as it does it for you

DaveTTC
The Turning Cowboy
Turning Wood Into Art

Benny_
23rd October 2017, 07:19 PM
Nice work.

The app makes it easy to load pics once you learn how to ise it. There is no need to resize pics as it does it for you

DaveTTC
The Turning Cowboy
Turning Wood Into Art

Alright, might give it a try. Thanks.

tony_A
24th October 2017, 07:57 PM
Well done Benny, your work is improving quickly. You've produced a good finish on all the pieces.

Tony

Benny_
24th October 2017, 09:11 PM
Well done Benny, your work is improving quickly. You've produced a good finish on all the pieces.

Thanks a lot Tony. I think I’ve become way more comfortable with the tools than I was last time so that probably helped.

P.S: The want pictures was an accident. Sorry.

MAPLEMAN
25th October 2017, 07:13 PM
Well done Benny
Inspirational stuff young man :;
May you enjoy your wood working hobby for many years to come
All the best...MM:2tsup:

Keith_1
25th October 2017, 10:24 PM
Benny,

Really top work mate:2tsup:

Congratulations

Regards

Keith

Benny_
7th November 2017, 05:05 PM
Hi,

Just turned this thing myself without any help, not the best but I'd say it's okay. I'll get rid of the bottom and if possible hollow it out but for now this is what it is. I just took the photo quickly as this isn't the final product. I'll take better photos of it when it's actually done.

Thanks for all the support,

Ben.

woodPixel
7th November 2017, 05:11 PM
Beads and coves. Beads and coves x 5000 (ok, thats a lie, its 50,000)

Its all it is.

Make 45x45's out of MGP10 pine from Bunnings* and turn down 100 metres of it into kindling. (edit...) If you have a building site near you, they toss all the ends out and they will load you up with a ton of them if you ask the foreman or lead carpenter (chippie). They get a LOT of offcuts. Perfect for practice.

Watch this dudes videos, they are enlightening: https://www.facebook.com/TheWoodturners/

* decryption: chop these in half: https://www.bunnings.com.au/90-x-45mm-mgp10-untreated-pine-timber-framing-linear-metre_p8030069

Its good to see a young chap giving it a crack. Keep it up.

Benny_
7th November 2017, 05:30 PM
Make 45x45's out of MGP10 pine from Bunnings* and turn down 100 metres of it into kindling. (edit...) If you have a building site near you, they toss all the ends out and they will load you up with a ton of them if you ask the foreman or lead carpenter (chippie). They get a LOT of offcuts. Perfect for practice.

* decryption: chop these in half: https://www.bunnings.com.au/90-x-45mm-mgp10-untreated-pine-timber-framing-linear-metre_p8030069

Thanks. I'm fairly sure I used this (https://www.bunnings.com.au/porta-70-x-70mm-1-2m-dar-standard-and-better-pine_p0021192) for it and it was pretty good, 1.2 metres of a fairly sized piece of wood. Will give the mgp10 a try as well as the offcuts from construction sites. We have apartments being built near us (it's almost finished though) as well as a lot of houses being built.

smiife
7th November 2017, 07:52 PM

Just turned this thing myself without any help, not the best but I'd say it's okay. I'll get rid of the bottom and if possible hollow it out but for now this is what it is. I just took the photo quickly as this isn't the final product. I'll take better photos of it when it's actually done.

Thanks for all the support,

Ben.

Hi benny , you have the makings of a candle stick there !
Keep working away ,, you will get there .....
You are getting better with each piece you do ..:2tsup:

Benny_
7th November 2017, 07:56 PM
Hi benny , you have the makings of a candle stick there !
Keep working away ,, you will get there .....
You are getting better with each piece you do ..:2tsup:
Hi,
I was thinking of making it something to do with a candle. Thanks :)

MikeJ
7th November 2017, 08:58 PM
Very impressive.

Cheers
Mike

DaveTTC
7th November 2017, 09:45 PM
Keep up the fine work. It will pay off

DaveTTC
The Turning Cowboy
Turning Wood Into Art

Allan at Wallan
10th November 2017, 07:39 PM
Benny and his Mum are both new members of Northern Woodturners Club and are
going well. Perhaps they can put a pic on of the two needle cases they made
last week.

Benny_
10th November 2017, 09:15 PM
Benny and his Mum are both new members of Northern Woodturners Club and are
going well. Perhaps they can put a pic on of the two needle cases they made
last week.
As Alan said, we are new members at the Northern Woodturners Club, I must say it is a very welcoming club. They have all showed mum and I how to do things and have helped us with finding the right equipment, etc. I’d recommend it if you’re looking for a club. :)
As Alan also said, we did make some needle cases last week. I was going to take some pictures earlier today and post it but forgot as I had to do some things. Thanks for the reminder!

Regards,

Ben.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171110/9e22ebf6f62498a5c86e8dfbba874343.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171110/cef90ca1497b6d6344951ed6310c3524.jpg

woodPixel
11th November 2017, 01:06 PM
Champion. Benny, I was only just talking with my wife over coffee about a spritely takker called "benny" on the forum who is into turning.

I think it's marvellous.

:D

DaveTTC
11th November 2017, 01:48 PM
I concur with what woodpixel said.

It also occured to me ... was speaking to your mum about your family comong to my place for the Australia Day thing. It is an annual event I have for forum members bit have not put up a fresh post yet.

This year the Friday has been opened up to home schoolers to attend and do a project with one of the many woodworkers that will be there.

As you are a forum member your family can visit for the entire weekend if they wish. Fri, Sat & Sun

DaveTTC
The Turning Cowboy
Turning Wood Into Art