PDA

View Full Version : unusual request

turnerted
20th September 2017, 04:01 PM
At a recent club craft sale a young lady wanted to buy this small vase and asked if I could make a lid for it . She wanted it to store her cat's ashes in . This is what I came up with . It's about 100mm diam by 120mm high . Finish is DO .
Ted

hughie
20th September 2017, 05:34 PM
Urns for ashes both animal and human remains are quite common in the USA. Looks good Ted.

brainstrust
20th September 2017, 05:37 PM
very nice vase indeed, i think it looks better without the lid but that is required. :2tsup:

smiife
20th September 2017, 08:44 PM
Hi ted , looks good mate , well done , a threaded lid
could be an advantage , just incase of an accidental spillage!!:doh:

dai sensei
20th September 2017, 08:46 PM
Hi ted , looks good mate , well done , a threaded lid
could be an advantage , just incase of an accidental spillage!!:doh:

What he said

Nubsnstubs
21st September 2017, 01:34 AM
Of course the form is going to look better without the lid, but, it also looks pretty darn good with the lid. To keep the look as in the first picture, a recessed flared lid would have done the job also. It's something for me to think about doing on my next hollow form.
Isn't it funny how we make things, and then people turn them into something totally different than what was in mind when making it. .......... Jerry (in Tucson)

ian
21st September 2017, 04:23 AM
a missed opportunity?
the customer no doubt really liked your work and the shape of the vase -- as I do -- perhaps next time suggest a custom urn?

Paul39
21st September 2017, 12:55 PM
I think the lid and vase look fine together. If the lid is not snug in the vase, a strip of black masking tape around the plug part of the lid might do the trick. A thin piece of sheet cork would be better.

clear out
21st September 2017, 01:01 PM
Possibly a groove and appropriate sized 'O' ring.
H.

turnerted
21st September 2017, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the comments.
If I had been making an urn from scratch I would probably have made a threaded lid for it . I was going to suggest to the buyer that she run a bead of hot melt glue under the top of the lid before inserting it .
Ted