PDA

View Full Version : coolibah burl bowl

smiife
25th September 2017, 08:37 PM
Hi guys, just started a coolibah burl bowl on the weekend
The ogee shape doesn, t seem to be right somehow , any
suggestions ? Finish with the "willy method " ........D.O.
applied with steel wool , 5 coats to date !
Open to any advice and suggestions welcome !:doh:

Nubsnstubs
26th September 2017, 01:34 AM
Well, for starters, I see absolutely nothing wrong with that shape. Looks great, and the piece of wood is nice too........... As far as finish, I don't stain any of my stuff. That piece will still stand out finished with a clear coat. ............. Jerry (in Tucson, USA)

artme
26th September 2017, 08:24 AM
Great stuphph!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

The ogee shape suits the blank totally.

Kidbee
26th September 2017, 09:29 AM
Got to agree with the other posts that it is looking okay at this stage. Coolibah burls make exceptional bowls, in my view. What is its diameter?

Looking forward to seeing how it goes as turning progresses.

dai sensei
26th September 2017, 09:59 AM
Looking good. I love the outside shape, now for the inside, not so easy on a burl piece like that to get looking good.

As for finish, DO is a good finish, but DO NOT use steel wool to apply. The small steel fibres will be left in little nooks and crannies that will eventually rust (it is only a matter of time). You can use a rag, or if you want the steel wool equivalent, use your green pot scraper (good one not the one on the back of a sponge) from your local supermarket or Bunnies.

Personally I spray finish with Nitrocellulose Lacquer using only 30% gloss (satin) for bowls.

smiife
26th September 2017, 08:40 PM
Well, for starters, I see absolutely nothing wrong with that shape. Looks great, and the piece of wood is nice too........... As far as finish, I don't stain any of my stuff. That piece will still stand out finished with a clear coat. ............. Jerry (in Tucson, USA)

Hi jerry , thanks for your comments , I wasn, t going to stain It , just
using D.O. and probably will use a clear lacquer:2tsup:

Great stuphph!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

The ogee shape suits the blank totally.

Hi artme , thanks for your thoughts , I always seem
To doubt myself ......:doh:

Got to agree with the other posts that it is looking okay at this stage. Coolibah burls make exceptional bowls, in my view. What is its diameter?

Looking forward to seeing how it goes as turning progresses.

Hi kidbee , the diameter Is approx 300mm,
Thanks for your comments , appreciate them !:2tsup:

smiife
26th September 2017, 08:58 PM
Looking good. I love the outside shape, now for the inside, not so easy on a burl piece like that to get looking good.

As for finish, DO is a good finish, but DO NOT use steel wool to apply. The small steel fibres will be left in little nooks and crannies that will eventually rust (it is only a matter of time). You can use a rag, or if you want the steel wool equivalent, use your green pot scraper (good one not the one on the back of a sponge) from your local supermarket or Bunnies.

Personally I spray finish with Nitrocellulose Lacquer using only 30% gloss (satin) for bowls.

Hi neil, thanks for your thoughts mate , really appreciate them....
Yeah , It was a mistake using the steel wool on a burl with a natural
edge ,:doh:.....still picking out the pieces , but blew most out , i think !
I like the ncl finish on burls too , so fingers crossed the Inside goes
well, thanks too for the advice:2tsup:

artme
27th September 2017, 12:57 PM
I think we are always our own harshest citics and most worrisome doubters.

Forgot to say how much I like O finish. It can ve time consuming but the result is worth the effort!

hughie
27th September 2017, 03:23 PM
Looking real good, so far so good, look forward to the finish.

smiife
27th September 2017, 08:31 PM
I think we are always our harshest citics and most worrisome doubters.

Forgot to say how much I like O finish. It can ve time consuming but the result is worth the effort!

Hi artme, yeah , always think my stuff isn, t good enough:doh:

Looking real good, so far so good, look forward to the finish.

Thanks hughie , appreciate your comments, I will
hopefully get some shed time this weekend:U