PDA

View Full Version : Largest bowl for me to date

mummatoni
29th September 2017, 06:43 AM
Actually this one is so chuffed with. Bowl turning and box making actually any woodturning besides pens was a real struggle. I remember coming to this board asking so many questions trying to grasp but then my username lubbing5cherubs (I think hughie and skewchidamn would got sick answering my questions. Lol) but got hurt and disabled and since had to work out ways to turn and finally grasping these. Anyway I digress this is today's bowl that i am so happy with. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170928/cbde7cf2b982ef9dcb71cd91aae92ca3.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170928/8ce4c4fe58420117a261e0771fb17b7a.jpg

keep on plugging away

Nubsnstubs
29th September 2017, 08:28 AM
For someone who struggled, it sure looks like you got a good handle on turning things other than pens, and turned a pretty nice bowl. two questions. #1 How long did you let the paint dry before you spun it again. #2 What does you shop look like after spinning it with the paint on the form? ........... Jerry (in Tucson, USA)

Benny_
29th September 2017, 09:45 AM
That looks brilliant! I wish I could do that :2tsup:

mummatoni
29th September 2017, 09:51 AM
For someone who struggled, it sure looks like you got a good handle on turning things other than pens, and turned a pretty nice bowl. two questions. #1 How long did you let the paint dry before you spun it again. #2 What does you shop look like after spinning it with the paint on the form? ........... Jerry (in Tucson, USA)I spun the paint wet to make the centrifugal pressure to throw it out the edge. Actually not too bad as put paper in the wall and my lathe and the rest mainly went in me to protect the rest if room lol but never dried before the next layer as it all worked together so was all good. The black was put on the night before. It all good was fun

keep on plugging away

NeilS
29th September 2017, 10:23 AM
.... never dried before the next layer as it all worked together so was all good.

keep on plugging away

T, what paint did you use to get that effect?

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk

mummatoni
29th September 2017, 10:34 AM
T, what paint did you use to get that effect?

Sent from my ZTE T84 using TapatalkI just used jo Sonya iridescent paints which are a transparent paint and mixed with a thinning medium that dried clear to help throw her with the lathe

keep on plugging away

artme
29th September 2017, 11:26 AM
A great result Toni!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I really like that paint finish, something different.

The grain in the timber is beautiful! wHAT IS IT??

mummatoni
29th September 2017, 11:49 AM
A great result Toni!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I really like that paint finish, something different.

The grain in the timber is beautiful! wHAT IS IT??I wish I remember what the timber was but mind blanks on it. Worse luck as love one day to source some more again

keep on plugging away

Lyle
29th September 2017, 12:44 PM
Looks like a Cedar to me. Nice work.
Lyle.

mummatoni
29th September 2017, 01:36 PM
Looks like a Cedar to me. Nice work.
Lyle.Can't argue as really do not remember all i know from what I remember was a type of aussie wood

keep on plugging away

RobbieB
29th September 2017, 02:31 PM
Hi Toni, bowl looks great. That looks like a piece of the Cassia fistula, aka Golden Shower tree or Indian Laburnum - the only other stuff you got that it could be were Neem or Chinaberry (white cedar). The grain looks like Cassia though. It's beautiful wood, don't know why it's not more widely used.
I'll drop off some more bits over the weekend and i.d. it properly then.
Cheers, Robbie.

Nubsnstubs
29th September 2017, 02:46 PM
I spun the paint wet to make the centrifugal pressure to throw it out the edge. Actually not too bad as put paper in the wall and my lathe and the rest mainly went in me to protect the rest if room lol but never dried before the next layer as it all worked together so was all good. The black was put on the night before. It all good was fun

keep on plugging away

if you do that again and you have an old paint bucket, just put it over the piece and jam it up against the head stock. Turn on the lathe, and when you think the paint is spread enough, turn it off and remove the bucket. Everything will be clean except the inside of the bucket. ............... Jerry (in Tucson, USA)

turnerted
29th September 2017, 04:45 PM
Looks good .
Since I have a set of those paints , I had better try it some time .
Ted

mummatoni
30th September 2017, 12:31 AM
Hi Toni, bowl looks great. That looks like a piece of the Cassia fistula, aka Golden Shower tree or Indian Laburnum - the only other stuff you got that it could be were Neem or Chinaberry (white cedar). The grain looks like Cassia though. It's beautiful wood, don't know why it's not more widely used.
I'll drop off some more bits over the weekend and i.d. it properly then.
Cheers, Robbie.Gidday matey. Your a rock star yes went home brain blanked on all the wood. Look forward to visit matey whenever bored and lonely. Be nice to have a chat anytime. :)

keep on plugging away

Fumbler
30th September 2017, 08:40 PM
Anyway I digress this is today's bowl that i am so happy with

And so you should, it's brilliant.

mummatoni
1st October 2017, 10:43 PM
if you do that again and you have an old paint bucket, just put it over the piece and jam it up against the head stock. Turn on the lathe, and when you think the paint is spread enough, turn it off and remove the bucket. Everything will be clean except the inside of the bucket. ............... Jerry (in Tucson, USA)Great idea thanks. Very simple but I never thought of that

keep on plugging away