PDA

View Full Version : glue question

old_picker
24th September 2005, 10:13 AM
hi all
I just butt jointed [mmm poor choice of words there] some slabs of 200x40mm hardwood. I have done the job with standard white PVA glue and have just found out that there is another type of highly revered wood glue that maybe i maybe should have used, namely: "yellow glue" which BTW I cant find at Bunnies.

I have always used WPVA in my limited excursions into woodcraft and never had a problem with it. I have never heard of the "yellow" sooper dooper glue until today. The timber i have joined wont be subjected to heat / damp / or any other typw of high stress situations.

Could somebody give a comment or two on the advantages / disadvantages of yellow versus white and perhaps hopefully allay my fears that I have done something really dumb with my very expensive bits of wood.
Thanks

aabb
24th September 2005, 10:30 AM
Hi Old picker,

You will prob be ok with the white glue in this instance given no moisture etc.
But move to yellow for next job ... lots on market if not inbunnies though they do sell the triton one (which is good) but its with triton gear and not with the glues

I would however question joining (laminating) 200m pieces of timber together.. you dont say how many . could have cupping problem down track.... would need more details to consider that one further -- eg how many , length ,type....

regards
albert

old_picker
24th September 2005, 03:27 PM
They are short 100x220 at around 14" long obviously joined on the 14" side and only 2 pieces across. The timber is fiji mahogany and myrtle. I have joined myrtle to myrtle and mahog to mahog. The wood will be well sealed with up to 6 coats of Wattyl waterbased clear.

BTW I found the triton glue this morning :(

Thanks for your help and am wondering whether i should rip them, rejoint and glue them up again. I have a little width to spare.

Iain
24th September 2005, 03:36 PM
Pretty sure that Bunnies sell Weldbond, failing that try some of the other hardware chains.
I have now gone over to TiteBond and there are several varieties of this depending upon your application.
Carbated, Woodworkingwarehouse, Gustec all carry it, where are you in Melb??

Auld Bassoon
24th September 2005, 08:37 PM
Old Picker,

If you really want some good glue (and is gap filling to boot!), use Anton Gerner's - see http://www.antongerner.com.au/202gf.html - it's a really very, very good glue. Dries quickly, and is superbly strong.

Since buying some a few months ago, wouldn't go back unless I'd run out of the 202.

Cheers!

echnidna
24th September 2005, 08:40 PM
White glue works well, its stronger than timber so why waste money on special glues for ordinary joints

Iain
24th September 2005, 08:49 PM
White glue works well
I've had white glue fall apart on me after a few months, I now refrain and stick with yellow for the few extra bucks.
I'm talking about Selleys aquadhere, not happy Jan, after spending several weeks carving a dolphin for daughter only to have the laminations fall apart a few months later.

Rusty
24th September 2005, 09:16 PM
I agree that it's better safe than sorry with glue. I use titebond II for pretty much everything, although I have tried the fancy pants Selley's pva (i think it's the "exterior" which is a cross linking pva?) and it's really nice and creamy to work with. No failures with it either, yet.

Auld Bassoon, when you mentioned Anton Gerner glue, did you perhaps mean Garrett Wade? They make it sound so tempting...does it do everything claimed?i.e, fill gaps, no creep, make coffee etc? I should just check that link instead of being lazy...

Regards,
Rusty.

Rusty
24th September 2005, 09:23 PM
Yup, that's the Garrett Wade; I believe the new distributors are Patricks and Kent, who don't have a website, dagnabbit. I say dagnabbit cos I can't spell consarnit.

Regards,
Rusty.

Auld Bassoon
24th September 2005, 09:38 PM
Rusty,

Yes, It's Garret Wade, just supplied from Anton's web site - at least that's where I get mine from.

It doesn't make coffeehttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif but it really is everything one could want from a woody glue; my only v. minor gripe: get any glue runs or seeps cleaned up before it really sets... A water damp cloth will do it.

I also like to drool over the pieces he has on display....

Cheers!

NewLou
24th September 2005, 09:45 PM
Gidday Old_Picker:)

Check out here for a great introductory read on various types of wood glues:

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=18243

....................I'm much the same as Steve n have gone down the Garret& Wade path. After 18 months of using this glue no complaints!!!!

Regards Lou

rick_rine
24th September 2005, 09:47 PM
Interesting post . I've always used sellys aquadhere too and like echidna , never had any problems over the past 25 ( very ) odd years . Always interior jobs of course .
Rick
Tasmania

TrevorOwen
24th September 2005, 10:43 PM
Old Pricker

Until my recent project I was like you, having only ever used Selleys white PVA aquadhere. But then I read on this forum about many other woodworking glues and started to look around. My latest glue up was a stool that I am rejuvinating. All of it's dowell joints had failed and so I decided to look for something stronger than PVA glue. I settled on a yellow glue that has been previously mentioned being Titebond because according to the specifications was superior to white PVA glue.

Good luck with your gluing and your choosing.

Regards from Adelaide
Trevor