PDA

View Full Version : Making some bookmaking tools for my artist wife

Xanthorrhoeas
3rd November 2017, 10:09 PM
My artist wife paints, makes artist's prints and artist's books. The latter require intricate stitching through either the ends of the artwork 'pages' or through attached paper hinge pieces. The commercially available awls are pretty boring items so I decided to turn her some of my own design. I obtained some HSS stainless rod 2 mm diameter for the working part. This one I used a scrap of Grey Mangrove that I had. The Grey Mangrove is a protected species but I was lucky enough to get some small pieces that were legally removed for some council works (permit numbers etc. obtained). Grey Mangrove has a beautiful grey-violet colour to the timber, which seems to last. This piece had some fungal attack that removed the grey and turned it brown, so it is two-tone. It is about 150 mm long, finished with EEE Ultrashine and Shellawax Glow.

Xanthorrhoeas
6th November 2017, 10:05 AM
This one is a very different, and rather odd, design out of my imagination. It is turned from Crows Ash with a little spalting (timber obtained from Mapleman a couple of years ago) and a piece of recycled/reused copper pipe ferrule (it was a bit beaten up). The larger, stubby handle and longer pin allow it to be pushed through more layers of paper - but I'm not really sure how well it will work. The 2 mm SS HSS pin is very stiff so it may work.

MAPLEMAN
6th November 2017, 10:26 AM
Was the Crow's Ash difficult to turn David?...MM:)

Xanthorrhoeas
6th November 2017, 11:25 AM
No Chris, it is easy to turn, even for a novice turner like me. I have also turned another handle from a larger awl I made for myself. I gave some to IanW for his threaded wooden screws and he said it turned well and worked well as a screw too - the timber is apparently a little 'greasy' (though I haven't noticed that characteristic). It takes a finish of shellac or Shellawax glow well. I'll take a photo of the awl I made for myself and post it later.

MAPLEMAN
6th November 2017, 11:31 AM
Thanks for that David
Not sure if you knew but the Crow's Ash came from the Anglican church garden in Kilcoy...MM

Xanthorrhoeas
6th November 2017, 03:54 PM
Thanks Chris,

I knew that it was a 'rescue wood' tree but not the exact location. It's good to know the provenaqnce.
David