PDA

View Full Version : winged box .....fail !

smiife
5th November 2017, 07:05 PM
Hi guys , started this winged box last week as a prototype
The sides were ripping out fairly badly , so today with a
bit of caution I tried again to do the outside and then a
piece flew off ! Big Fail !
Oh well ......plan B .
I have read somewhere to make a complete round bowl
and then cut off the sides , so this the project so far .....

mummatoni
6th November 2017, 10:56 AM
Hi guys , started this winged box last week as a prototype
The sides were ripping out fairly badly , so today with a
bit of caution I tried again to do the outside and then a
piece flew off ! Big Fail !
Oh well ......plan B .
I have read somewhere to make a complete round bowl
and then cut off the sides , so this the project so far .....Maybe measure the missing chunk then cut the same make it uniform like a propeller then can say design opportunity not an oops
Bye Toni Parker

keep on plugging away

Christos
6th November 2017, 05:04 PM
The winged bowl or box can be done either way making it out from a rectangle piece of wood or a bowl then cut the wings out.

I found a video by Mick Peace very helpful. You can take a look via this link, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dShS70CHXTs

One thing that he says during the video is to take things slow this is a very good point. I have made a few during the years and have had a few fall apart during turning(ensure you have safety gear on) and even after turning while handling it. :doh:

smiife
6th November 2017, 07:47 PM
Maybe measure the missing chunk then cut the same make it uniform like a propeller then can say design opportunity not an oops
Bye Toni Parker

keep on plugging away

Hi toni , I tend not worry to much about the fails....and think
of It as a learning curve:B The round blank under the fail is
the next project , just to try It another way.....
The broken bowl/box Is in the firewood pile...........

The winged bowl or box can be done either way making it out from a rectangle piece of wood or a bowl then cut the wings out.

I found a video by Mick Peace very helpful. You can take a look via this link, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dShS70CHXTs

One thing that he says during the video is to take things slow this is a very good point. I have made a few during the years and have had a few fall apart during turning(ensure you have safety gear on) and even after turning while handling it. :doh:
Hi christos , thanks for the link, will have a look later,:2tsup:

KBs PensNmore
6th November 2017, 09:21 PM
When I do a winged bowl, I get the piece that I want to use, dress the sides and paper glue on some pine to secure the edges, making a square, it also stops fingers getting chomped. When the bowl is finished, just separate at the paper joint, sand and polish the edge.
Kryn

smiife
7th November 2017, 07:47 PM
When I do a winged bowl, I get the piece that I want to use, dress the sides and paper glue on some pine to secure the edges, making a square, it also stops fingers getting chomped. When the bowl is finished, just separate at the paper joint, sand and polish the edge.
Kryn

Hi kryn , yeah , thats a good Idea too !
With this one I just used a bowl blank of rosewood
I had so will see what happens, sand and polish and
then cut off the sides !........well thats the plan so far:U

KBs PensNmore
7th November 2017, 08:14 PM
That's OK, but you tend to waste some lovely wood. Another alternative is if you've made the bowl already, cut off the sides, DON'T bin the offcuts, as you can glue them together to make a unique bowl/dish.
Kryn

smiife
8th November 2017, 07:25 PM
That's OK, but you tend to waste some lovely wood. Another alternative is if you've made the bowl already, cut off the sides, DON'T bin the offcuts, as you can glue them together to make a unique bowl/dish.
Kryn

Hi kryn, you are certainly an Ideas man :2tsup:! Never would
have thought to do that ! Will try that and see what happens :;

smiife
12th November 2017, 05:29 PM
Follow up to the winged bowl , .......
Didn, t have much shed time this weekend , I got the
dreaded "man flu",,,,,, which we all know is 10 times
worse than ordinary flu ......anyhooo !
This the bowl so far ..shaped and polished , just have
to rechuck and take off the bottom , and then cut them
dam wings off !:o