PDA

View Full Version : First chuck

macandrita
22nd November 2017, 10:36 PM
Evening Everyone,

Just placed my order with Santa (aka timberbits) for a vicmarc VM100 chuck. Short list was either this or the Ayao one reviewed recently. Not sure the original belt on the old tecnatools lathe manufactured in 1988 would appreciate getting the extra mass up to speed. While I may be able to add extra jaws over time, a second chuck is not an option at present. Of course if I actually bought lotto tickets I would stand a slightly better chance of getting some extra capital. I did a good read up on members thoughts before placing my order and while I did the cheap and nasty with the lathe tools, I think this was the right move. Thank you for your wisdom and knowledge and I hope to be using it in a week to create some of the Christmas presents we have planned for the family.
Cheers,
Mac

Treecycle
23rd November 2017, 12:44 PM
You certainly won't regret getting the Vicmarc. Changing jaws is a bit of a pain but I think we all start there.

Optimark
23rd November 2017, 03:55 PM
I also settled on Vicmarc VM100 for my first new chuck.

Having only one chuck but multiple jaws, you may find, as I did, that the bolts holding the jaws in place may start to wear in the hex head section making them almost impossible to get out unless you cut a slot to unscrew them out.

Then you will need extra bolts, which, as sold by wood machinery suppliers, are an expensive way to purchase them. These are what your VM100 chuck uses to hold the jaws in place.

VM90/100 standard jaws - countersunk (flat) socket head cap screw M5 x 12mm length.

VM90/100 Cole jaws - countersunk (flat) socket head cap screw M5 x 16mm length.

As all jaws I have, with the exception of the Cole Jaws, use the M5 x 12mm length unit, I went to a bolt supplier and picked up a box of 100 for about $17.00. I'm onto my fourth set of screws; which I replace when the edges of the hex are starting to round off.

I also use the supplied T bar Allen key to remove and re-fit these screws. Over time the end edge also starts to round over, ever so slightly; a very quick 90º touch up on the fine wheel of the bench grinder, keeps it perfect.

Over a few of years and when required, I have purchased additional jaws and face plate rings for my VM100 chuck, turning it into a very versatile unit.

Mick.

macandrita
25th November 2017, 10:32 AM
Holy smoking Santa sleigh. Ordered the chuck at 8 pm Wednesday night and picked it up at 3pm Friday and Mareeba is not down exactly next door. Thank you Timberbits you just made my Christmas.
Cheers,
Mac

Treecycle
25th November 2017, 06:09 PM
Looks like nothing has changed :U